The Sewing Place

Pattern/counter books

Sewcycle

Pattern/counter books
« on: April 02, 2021, 09:29:20 AM »
I’d really like to have a couple of older counter books. Does anyone have any idea where they might be sourced? I don’t really mind about age. Any info would be appreciated- thanks.
'Is there a life before breakfast'

UttaRetch

Re: Pattern/counter books
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 11:59:25 AM »
My local fabric shop in Lewisham sells the previous seasons' pattern books, so if you have a fabric place that also has pattern books you might try there.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 13:10:01 PM »
Most places that sell patterns like to get rid of them and will sell them.  I threw loads away when we closed the shop!   :(

Sewcycle

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 14:53:34 PM »
Thanks @UttaRetch. We have a fabric shop which will be opening soon hopefully- I’ll ask them. @Ohsewsimple, Oh what a pity. I would have loved them. Thanks for the input. I might message some places too and see if they have ones to get rid of.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 18:13:10 PM »
Did you know shops throw away the patterns as well when a new book comes out as they get new stock along with the book. They remove them from the envelope as they have to send these back, but my local shop used to save me a good selection of the patterns that i could take into class for learners to use who would otherwise struggle to pay for patterns.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 08:35:55 AM »
My local fabric shop sends the patterns back, envelope and all.  I looked in the black sacks, but didn't see anything that I would have bought.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 09:02:20 AM »
@sewmuchmore please don’t tell anyone who the shop is as they will be seriously in trouble, their sales contract with the company is the insides of the patters must be destroyed and not passed on. Obviously people who own shops etc can use them themselves as no one would check but passing them on in a usable condition is a real no no.

@Sewcycle  Fabricland used to always give or sell the books, they might be worth a try, hope you find one
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:03:55 AM by Celia »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 09:09:01 AM »
@Celia sadly the shop no longer exists, closed down 18 months ago.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 11:59:48 AM »
@UttaRetch i can’t see them sending the patterns themselves back.  You have to pay the postage and it costs a fortune just sending the envelopes!   Also they’d be getting a stroppy phone call if they didn’t do it right!   Been on the receiving end of one of those for a slight error! 

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 12:07:57 PM »
When I say 'sends them back', I don't actually know how that is done but they are not just dumped according to the shop staff.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 12:41:47 PM »
@UttaRetch mmmm.  Well they are supposed to be destroyed.  But I expect they use them themselves.  You literally empty the envelopes and package them up and send them back in the post. 
A couple of hundred or more at a time is a pain to deal with and weighty to post.  Done it many times! 

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 12:51:05 PM »
The shop has two branches with the main being in Holloway, north London.  I think the bin liners were collected for the Holloway shop to deal with.

Sewcycle

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 07:34:24 AM »
Wow that’s all fascinating. I just assumed they were kept until used up. I’m quite horrified to think of all those patterns going to waste :scream:. A pity they can’t be sent to schools or classes...or sold on for charity. I suppose that’s modern capitalism. Anyway I will go and schmooze my pattern ladies at the local fabric shop and see if they can rustle up some pattern books.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 14:49:13 PM »
Anyone want to see my collection of trash bin rescued patterns? How about my pattern books?

If the shops are needing to send patterns or envelopes back that's to do with the UK distributors. That hasn't been done in the US for 15 to 20 years. I think they are supposed to be destroyed. The way that's usually done is just to toss them in the dumpster intact. Some over zealous employees take the contents out of the envelopes and get something like a 2 liter bottle of strawberry soda to splash over everything.

My friend was looking for boxes and was told  by a record shop to look by their dumpster as they had just put a bunch back there. The bin was shared with a mega fabric store. They had just culled the Vogue patterns, emptied the envelopes and tossed everything. She got about 6 bags worth. She taught high school math to special needs students. The kids had a blast putting the correct instructions, pattern and envelopes together. Had to get the sizes right! I wound up with 2 bags and passed those on.

Last time I bought a pattern, prepandemic, they were selling the discontinued ones for 25 cents each.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 15:49:01 PM »
 :thinking: If the policy is to destroy old patterns, I am not sure that as a business I would rely on retailers doing it for me but I don't see the harm in reselling merchandise for which I have already been paid.  Is that contradictory?