The Sewing Place

The Clearance Plate (also known as the Hump Jumper)

Iminei

Re: The Clearance Plate (also known as the Hump Jumper)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
@annieeg  It might be in the bag with your buttonholer accessories, which might be in the back half of the removable bit that fits around the free arm bit of the machine if you know what I mean ???   :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

toileandtrouble

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 10:05:36 AM »
"in the back half of the removable bit that fits around the free arm bit of the machine"  Sounds like one of those songs from the 60s! 
The jumper just raises the level of the foot. It does help with the shank of a button if you want one for thicker fabrics, also when doing jeans, which are full of thick lumps of fabric. Once the foot is held level the machine has no problem punching through the material. It's when it can't move the fabric through properly that the needle come down out of sync and breaks.  I have a collection of broken needles from when I forget to use that little device.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Greybird

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 10:46:04 AM »
I have had one of these since about 1988 - with my old Husqvarna. Never knew what it was for and the booklet didn't help. Thank you!!

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 14:30:46 PM »
Thank you for that extra clarification as to how it works TnT ...

I never knew, as I said, what it was for until Sakar showed me.

The Ateliers also have a black button on the side of the main sewing foot which locks the foot level so it doesnt ski slope over big humps and can therefore sew properly
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Morgan

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 15:43:39 PM »
Hump jumpers - they're useful but you don't need to buy one.

For holding a needle, you can make a little pad of fabric, stick the needle point into it and then use that to hold the needle in place whilst you tighten the clamp.

As DF mentioned, folded beer mats (or any other folded paper, card or fabric ) will do the job

Fabrics are different thickness, so are seams and hems.  The plastic hump jumpers are great for thicker stuff but for thinner things, sometimes just using a pad of the same fabric folded to the same thickness works well.

What you're trying to do is keep the fabric feed consistent.  You have to help the feed dogs to keep doing their job by ensuring the fabric is always pressed against the dogs which means you have to keep the foot level, both front to back and side to side.
(It's the same issue that affects button hole feet attachments - gotta keep the foot level or at least pressing the fabric onto the feed dogs evenly the whole time)

For some jobs like edge stitching and top stitching, there are compensating feet for industrials.  We can achieve the same things at home by using folded strips of material to prevent a wide foot from tipping side to side.
For edge stitching shirt collars, button bands etc.  then I often use an old collar or the sample made to test the interfacing/fabric marriage to keep the foot level if I'm using a wide foot machine.

fajita

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 16:03:46 PM »
This is the one I got with my Bernina 550QE. Never used it yet.

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 13:21:03 PM »
I sent the link for this to my daughter (who you might remember is a new sewer). She was already ahead of me and had seen this somewhere else. When she went to try and buy one she found that they cost £8. As she is currently unemployed this was too much and she has been using bits of cardboard instead. I am sending her mine - I have managed this long without one!

So Chic

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 15:58:58 PM »
I’ve never bothered with one as I found a bit of paper folded works just as well.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

toileandtrouble

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 16:22:19 PM »
"compensating feet for industrials."  I have a bi-level foot for my Pfaff,  which is great for edgestitching since it guides a bit as well as levels.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m