The Sewing Place

Sewing Chair

Diane

Sewing Chair
« on: May 30, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
Can anyone recommend a sewing chair with castors, needs to look nice as well. I like the one I've attached but not sure if it's suitable.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Efemera

Re: Sewing Chair
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 09:39:01 AM »
Think the arms might get in the way... have you got a used office furniture place anywhere near?
Or go to Staples and try some out

Diane

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »
Think the arms might get in the way... have you got a used office furniture place anywhere near?
Or go to Staples and try some out

Never thought about the arms, will google and see if anything is nearby.
Thanks
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
I just use a dining chair, with arms, the arms don't get in the way....in fact I've never noticed them ( bet I do now though  :D ) If I now find they're a problem......you owe me a new chair Effie  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »
Same here, used the dining room chair before but now I have my own sewing room I fancy something on castors so I can whizz round the room.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
Have a look on Viking Direct or Staples.  It's a shame you don't live closer, I've got a black one in the garage I could have given you.  I didn't think about the arms either when I bought it and they definitely do get in the way, you can't take them off as they are part of the structure of the chair. I got a replacement from Viking.

Diane

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
Have a look on Viking Direct or Staples.  It's a shame you don't live closer, I've got a black one in the garage I could have given you.  I didn't think about the arms either when I bought it and they definitely do get in the way, you can't take them off as they are part of the structure of the chair. I got a replacement from Viking.

I'll have a look at Viking direct and see what they've got,
Thanks

Kad

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 16:11:28 PM »
I recently bought a new sewing chair from IKEA, it was only £49,, came in a variety of colours ( incl pink and turquoise) and has castors  that only roll freely when you're sat upon the seat - it's to stop the chair from rolling away from you as you sit so you're less likely to land with a bump on the floor  0_0 

I also bought one of their height adjustable tables, not the electrically powered one but the 'wind up' version with the larger of the two available tops, and a stack of drawers also on castors that will store under the table or provide extra working surface.

So much better than my Horn cabinet which wasn't the right height for me and didn't have enough space for my legs to fit under ( I'm 6' tall with long legs). The Horn cabinet went on eBay for the same as I paid for it so I had some ££ left over after my IKEA splurge .     
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Diane

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 16:30:21 PM »
Never thought of ikea, will have a look later  :) like the sound of of the turquoise one.

I have horn cabinet and love it, if I had known I was getting a sewing room I would have ordered a bigger cabinet but too late now, I'd never get that past hubby.
Thanks

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 17:15:42 PM »
I'd recommend an office chair so you can adjust the height
C'est moi!

Fiona M

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 18:15:29 PM »
I got a 'call centre' chair, designed for long periods of sitting and 24/7 occupation.  It's got adjustable lumbar support (essential for me) and the height of seat, back and arms are all adjustable.  It's very robust and comfy, and they had about 20 colours to choose from (mine's red).  I got it from an office furniture supplier and, from memory, it was around the £100 mark.

Diane

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 18:36:31 PM »
Thanks for all the tips ladies, I'll do a search for call centre chair and see what it throws up.

Diane

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 18:46:31 PM »
Some lovely chairs on office manager website with next day delivery, spoilt for choice

Kad

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »
---- I recently bought a new sewing chair from IKEA, it was only £49,, came in a variety of colours ( incl pink and turquoise) and has castors  that only roll freely when you're sat upon the seat - it's to stop the chair from rolling away from you as you sit so you're less likely to land with a bump on the floor  ----

Forgot to say that the chair comes with 'gas-lift' height adjustment and lumbar support in the mesh fabric chair back and the pink colour is more of a ' crushed strawberry' rather than ' sugar almond' pink.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
Castors that don't roll when your weight is on the chair sound like a good idea especially as you're planning on quilting.  The hardest part of quilting my recent quilt was stopping my chair from free ranging as I was wrestling the quilt through the machine.  I found it put quite a strain on my thigh muscles.  I had to find a way of wedging one foot behind a castor to stop it (and hope it didn't run over my foot).
Life's too short for ironing.