The Sewing Place

Sewing Chair

Lowena

Re: Sewing Chair
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »
I have a dining chair on a carpet so I'm well and truly stuck  :D  Our nearest Staples is 30 miles away and our nearest Ikea is 205 miles away at Bristol, so no chance of trying anything out  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lolli

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 19:19:47 PM »
Just thought I'd jump on this thread and recommend a chair if anyone needs an upgrade  :D

I have this one in my sewing room and it's one of my favourite things in there. No arms to get in the way, it swivels so you can 'swing round' to grab stuff easily, height adjustable, excellent lower back support and the seat is very padded and comfortable.
I checked the reviews before I bought it and it seems a few people use them for sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 00:17:12 AM »
I have a similar style to Lolli's from Ikea. It's £15 cheaper without the arms but I find I really like the support of the arms and I always lower the seat when I'm finished so it fits under the table.

It's the most comfortable sewing chair I've ever had,  :) but that means I can sit on it for many hours more than I really should.  :o
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

crafter

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 01:39:21 AM »
I have a dining chair on a carpet so I'm well and truly stuck  :D  Our nearest Staples is 30 miles away and our nearest Ikea is 205 miles away at Bristol, so no chance of trying anything out  :D

Not long now Lowena and we will have an Ikea much closer at Exeter.  Can't wait, if only for their T-Towels

crafter

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 01:42:22 AM »
I would say don't buy the one with arms.  I have had chairs with and without and the arms were such a nuisance.  I have always had second hand office chairs.  I understand that some casters don't move when you using the chair.  Cannot understand that, casters and laminate floor means that you can skoot between machine, overlocker and ironing board without having to get out of your chair.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 21:08:46 PM by crafter »

Marniesews

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 14:09:32 PM »
I would say don't buy the one with arms.

I'd have agreed previously, all my previous ones were armless but for some reason my dh persuaded me pointing out they are easily removable and now I'm glad we did.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

fajita

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 14:13:10 PM »
The arms on my sewing chair move up out of the way when I don't want them. Best of both worlds.

When I started sewing I used a dining chair, but would end up with badly swollen ankles.  Office chair all the time now.

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 16:38:51 PM »
@Diane: don't look at any office furniture suppliers as they will be the most expensive.  IKEA or Argos have a number of 'office' chairs.  I would go for a chair without arms as I found that I couldn't get close to my desk with the one I had which is now no more.  Also make sure that you can adjust not only the seat, but also the back.

Sewingsue

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
Just thought I'd jump on this thread and recommend a chair if anyone needs an upgrade  :D

I have this one in my sewing room and it's one of my favourite things in there. No arms to get in the way, it swivels so you can 'swing round' to grab stuff easily, height adjustable, excellent lower back support and the seat is very padded and comfortable.
I checked the reviews before I bought it and it seems a few people use them for sewing.
Thank you @Lolli
Chair ordered last night, delivered this morning and now assembled (and sat on).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 13:03:45 PM »

Thank you @Lolli
Chair ordered last night, delivered this morning and now assembled (and sat on).
Just looked at that, looks super.  Mind you, delivery to here is two days, although I could pick it up straight away in one of our nearest (12 miles away) shops... Hmmm...

Sewingsue

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 13:30:08 PM »
Has it got quite a nice sized seat? I currently use a dining chair and it's driving me mad.
It's roughly 17"x17"
So about average for an office chair I would say. Well, speaking as someone with a size 12 seat myself.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 14:56:23 PM »
I understand that some casters don't move when you using the chair.  Cannot understand that..

I used to work in the office furniture business and there's a very good reason for this.  All castors are not alike - some are intended for hard floors and some are intended for carpets.  Hard floor ones (such as might be used in a warehouse, say) are 'stickier' than those intended for carpets.  Get the wrong one on the wrong floor and you have a skidding hazard on one hand and a chair that won't shift when you want it to on the other.

Lolli

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 15:54:58 PM »
Congrats on the new purchase @Sewingsue! What do you think so far?

I absolutely love mine, i think it's so comfortable

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 17:22:21 PM »
When my ex-employer moved to its new building, everyone was given a

Herman Miller Aeron chair.   They are shockingly expensive and even secondhand, command a three figure sum.

Sheilago

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 19:39:02 PM »
Just thought I’d say that chairs on castors ruin carpets. I had one in my sewing room and it squashed the carpet until it was like thin fabric.

I assumed that the carpet wasn’t great quality, but when I got the local carpet company in to measure for a new one, they said it wouldn’t matter how much I spent, my office chair would ruin any carpet. So , I now have a new carpet and use a dining chair instead.