The Sewing Place

Machine embroidery tips please?

Alikat

Machine embroidery tips please?
« on: March 13, 2022, 22:26:48 PM »
 Having recently acquired my mum's Pfaff which has more embroidery features than my Bernina, I am keen to give it a go. First question - if you are using embroidery threads or metallic, what is the best thing to put in the bobbin? Would it be an ordinary thread such as guttermans in a similar colour or bobbin fill and do you loosen the needle tension so that the bobbin thread doesn't show on the front?

Also is it best to back with tissue paper, vilene or 'stitch-n-tear'?

Sorry for all the questions! I am changing from working on alterations to a hobby sewist so hope to also spend more time on here!

Iminei

Re: Machine embroidery tips please?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 07:57:44 AM »
Christchurch ?????? as in Hampshire ?????

No further information on ME will be given until you answer the question @Alikat!!!  :ninja:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 09:04:29 AM »
When you say "embroidery features" is that just stiches, or is it a full blown embroidery machine that takes a hoop?

Celia

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 09:18:42 AM »
Might help if you can tell us the model of the machine too, it might help with some answers.

Alikat

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 13:03:31 PM »
Iminei - No am in Christchurch, Dorset (it changed from being part of Hampshire quite a few years ago')

My machine is a Pfaff Creative 1473 CD. I have worked out how to put stitches in the memory etc,but have not got as far as connecting the separate creative designer attachment. 

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 13:32:23 PM »
But But But ... youre in Dorset ?? .... Youre near me ?? ... We could have a play day !!  :faints:

Review

Demo

Manual

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 13:35:27 PM by Iminei »

Alikat

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 18:52:08 PM »
Whereabouts are you then in sunny Dorset?

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 11:38:28 AM »
Having recently acquired my mum's Pfaff which has more embroidery features than my Bernina, I am keen to give it a go. First question - if you are using embroidery threads or metallic, what is the best thing to put in the bobbin? Would it be an ordinary thread such as guttermans in a similar colour or bobbin fill and do you loosen the needle tension so that the bobbin thread doesn't show on the front?

Also is it best to back with tissue paper, vilene or 'stitch-n-tear'?

Sorry for all the questions! I am changing from working on alterations to a hobby sewist so hope to also spend more time on here!

Unless you are doing free-standing lace, I would use regular thread in the bobbin.  As for stabilizer, that really depends on the material you are embroidering ON.

Woven fabrics work fine with tear-away stabilizer.  Knits/ stretch fabrics require cut-away stabilizer.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 16:18:55 PM »
@Alikat  in Deepest Darkest ... aka as Blandford Forum

A lil trek I know but closer than most other TSPers altho' @PBear lives really close to you

Alikat

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 16:46:27 PM »
Thank you, Imininei for the link to the Youtube video about my machine. I have just had a chance to look at it  - it was a nice introduction.

Bill

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 13:07:50 PM »
When I had my brother em machine, it was advised to use their bobbin fill thread. From memory (I think) it was finer than ordinary thread so that it didn't show up amongst the top embroidery stitching.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things