The Sewing Place

Pattern overload

Gernella

Pattern overload
« on: April 05, 2021, 16:21:20 PM »
I think it is my brain that has got overloaded.  I've jumped from doing  a pattern where everything was set out as to what to do in a logical manner to starting something where you start off doing the faffy bits first.  I cut out then got some fabric for a top and left it to do the top.  Top now ready for a bit of coverstitching so I started thinking about the faffy pattern.

I've got the printed instructions off (Waffle) and rifled through until I got to a bit I wanted to do.  I've actually done this pattern before but I'm sure I never had this problem.  I really don't want to interface the fiddly bits until I get to them, I want to do the juicy bits first.  To me starting the body is the bit you start with, followed by the other bits, not interfacing the bottom band which doesn't go on until much later or the sleeve cuffs, ditto.

Just having a whinge.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

Re: Pattern overload
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 17:16:47 PM »
In my mind, is more satisfying to do the small bits first and when I trace and cut out I always start with the smaller pieces.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 20:20:34 PM »
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter which bit is done first so long as nothing is reliant on something else having already been done.  ie collar first or sleeves first really doesn't matter but you can't usually do the bottom hem before the side seams and patch pockets are easier if you do them before assembling the main part of the garment.

Having said that I think that the recommended way is to get all the small fiddly bits done first and that's the way I generally work.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »
I'm obviously wired differently @UttaRetch @BrendaP which does explain a lot when I think about. :S
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 10:51:10 AM »
I'm a bit like you @Gernella I like to do things my own way.  Especially if it's something I've done before, and I know that there is a better way. 

Sometimes it's done out of necessity - if I'm waiting for something to arrive.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 16:23:34 PM »
I'm a bit like you @Gernella I like to do things my own way.  Especially if it's something I've done before, and I know that there is a better way. 

Jessie

Don't know about better way @b15erk I've just started on the zip pockets, made a banging job last time, got to right to the zip stage before the penny dropped that the facing was on the wrong side.  Worst part about it, when I finish a seam off, it never budges again. Plonker, but master of the ripper.

I'd dicked out of cutting DH's hair so I could get them in and finished for next stage.  Still, all ready to start again tomorrow and I am calm, it was my fault, I cannot  blame another.   :meditation:

Stitchalot

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 17:25:28 PM »
I rarely follow the exact sequence of steps in a pattern.  It was drummed into me by an outstanding teacher that the neckline, and any other appropriate curved bits, should be taped/stay-stitched immediately after coming off the cutting table, before any significant handling. It surprises me how many patterns tell you to to complete several other procedures (darts, shoulder seam etc) on the bodice first, and only tell you to stay stitch neckline just before working on it. By that time it has probably already stretched and the damage has been done. (Definitely never try it on until stay stitching is done!)