The Sewing Place

First Quilt!

Efemera

Re: First Quilt!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 16:47:19 PM »
Press every seam before you sew the next...ideally your iron is used as much as your machine. Makes the difference between handmade and homemade.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 17:03:46 PM »
Are you going to applique Doggy Shapes or Heads on the squares?

I did this (with birds) for one of my very first gift quilts in 2012/13 of which I have no pics but I have a test piece to show you.

The quilt was very simple squares in a soft Lavender and Cappuccino colours, so lacked contrast and to add Interest I appliqued lil bird shapes on it ... The  quilt was for my  neighbour's new daughter Wren ... who will forever after be given cards and gifts relating to birds!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 17:20:23 PM »
You might even manage without a walking foot, if you do lots of pinning and take it slowly @Wayfarer . I’m sure for my first quilt or two I didn’t have a walking foot. However, if you’re planning on making more quilts, it’s probably worth investing in the proper one for your machine.
Tara is a lucky dog to get such a special bed - here’s hoping she avoids all the muddy puddles :D

Bill

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 17:21:14 PM »
More ironing will take place when I've a better mini ironing board. Currently I'm using a stupid silvery folding clothy thing that when I last used it, my cutting board warped.
I think for now I'll leave it plain jane @Iminei
Baby steps etc. I've not done the binding today that I was planning. I've felt rotten all day. But, I might do something creative on that...the old Uten which hasn't sold yet (although mums decided that she wants it after all  :rolleyes:) has a doggy stitch pattern...
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bill

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 11:37:52 AM »
Got my new mini ironing board and the walking foot. It has the brother logo on it but I don't think it's an official one. It seems to work perfectly though. I have discovered that the new A150 does not like cheaper threads at all. Coats Moon from now on methinks.
I've done the binding...
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
I had to overlock the edges or there won't be much of left by the time the wadding gets here (Mon or Tues) and the lettering hasn't come out perfect but again, cheapo thread I think and there's no stabilizer on it so it moved about a bit too much I think.
I'm getting there :)
Oh, and I've bought an extension table for the machine too  :D
We can always get food next month instead  :laughing:

Silver Rose

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 11:42:01 AM »
Tara will like it regardless, she can't read, can she?  ;)
Still learning

Bill

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 22:43:24 PM »
It's done...
A few things went wrong.  :S
My biggest error was impatience. 4 days waiting for the wadding to turn up...thats almost forever! But it gave me time to practice with the walking foot. And so the carnage began.
First things first. The backing. Och! I forgot to buy fabric for that. A pillowcase was sacrificed.
Loosely following Melanie Hams quilting for beginners instructions I discovered that my new wadding is a good 1/4" / 15mm thick uncompressed. I hadn't planned on sewing a settee. Anyhoo, I then safety pinned each patch so it wouldn't move and set to stitching.
I decided to be a clever clogs and try stitching in the ditch. Yup. That went as expected. Half an hour or so later having destitched my koque up I followed Melanie's plans. Mostly successfully too. The fabric folded over a bit on some seams but Melanie said that's OK for a complete idiot beginner.
The binding is where it all went pear shaped. Guess who neglected to clip the binding to the quilt as instructed? Not me miss, honest  :\
Stitching was 'wavey' at best and a complete balls up at worst. Should I mention the corners? Train wrecks is putting it mildly. And finally joining the 2 ends together. I hope I'm never trusted to put humpty dumpty together. He'd need a lifetime of mental counseling and serious physical therapy.
Tara seems to like her new blanket though  :thumbsup:

At least now I know how NOT to go about quilting  :D

Lilian

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 23:30:28 PM »
@Wayfarer that is lovely it looks nice and puffy, which I like and Tara is very happy. Well done you  :thumbsup:
Willing but not always able :)

Bill

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 00:11:40 AM »
Thanks @Lilian  :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 03:58:24 AM »
I used to join the old biddies at the quilt shop for sewing sessions. The rare times I actually quilted in public I was known for my hysterical laughter. Yes, my quilting is so bad it cracks me up. I don't stich in the ditch. I call it stich near the ditch. Sometimes it makes it into the ditch, sometimes not. So I call my quilts "utility quilts" as they function well but aren't going to get any awards.

I've seen a lot of quilts in my day from experienced quilters. There are a lot of terrible corners out there, many mangled bindings, batting that is loftier than expected, etc.

If you enjoyed yourself, had fun making it and learned a few things consider it a success. Since the recipient seems pleased with it consider it an overwhelming success. If looking at it gives you a chuckle then even better. It's an excellent first quilt, kinda cute and does the intended job.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Silver Rose

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 07:03:17 AM »
Well done @Wayfarer , it looks cosy and you have a happy Tara  :woof:
Still learning

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 08:56:19 AM »
That's lovely - and learning about stitch-in-the-ditch (and why you really want to avoid it) is a rite of passage for any quilter.  It's good to get it out of the way early on!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 09:22:53 AM »
The Pics dont look half bad @Wayfarer ... and Yes, most peeps first goes have a few surprises in them!

I like how youve quilted it especially how it forms the lil 4square pattern in the corners of each square ... Neat!

If you enjoyed yourself despite everything, like the finished item (as Tara obviously does) and want to try another Please do read through This Tut, it really will take you through every step and, of course, we're all on hand for any unanswered questions!

All in All ... Bravo!!!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:24:24 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2021, 09:52:45 AM »
Well done, it is none too shabby and your discerning customer seems very happy   :)
SITD  always sounds like a safe option for a beginner and mostly they cannot be dissuaded but, as you discovered, it's not the easy option!
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2021, 12:29:11 PM »
Looks fine to me. SITD is a pain so avoid it.
Triumph of hope over experience :D