The Sewing Place

Do I need to raise the waistline?

RachelB

Do I need to raise the waistline?
« on: April 03, 2021, 02:59:02 AM »
I know I have some issues that I need to fit on this bodice, but do I need to raise the waistline?
Here is a picture of my muslin: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192120208@N05/51009920962/in/dateposted-public/

Renegade Sewist

Re: Do I need to raise the waistline?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 05:33:39 AM »
IDK. My initial thought was to lower it. It seems a bit high to me.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 08:21:10 AM »

If that is still your back, then yes because there is rippling and pooling.  The waistline should sit at the narrowest part of the torso and the back bodice should be smooth.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 09:31:53 AM »
The back waist looks a little low.. maybe a small swayback adjustment.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 12:03:19 PM »
I agree I think it’s a sway back adjustment needed.  The front doesn’t look so bad.  However, as we don’t really know where your waist is it’s difficult to be precise.  A 1/4” piece of elast is tied round your middle and allowed to settle where it wants will tell you where your waist is! 

RachelB

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 19:45:43 PM »
@Renegade Sewist  @UttaRetch  @Efemera  @Ohsewsimple  thank you so much.  I have often wondered if I have a swayback.  I am going to look up how to make those alterations.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 08:15:21 AM »
I agree I think it’s a sway back adjustment needed.  ...  However, as we don’t really know where your waist is it’s difficult to be precise.
I am puzzled by this, particularly as we do not know @RachelB's true waistline.  Way the so-called swayback adjustment rather than establishing the correct nape to waist length?

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 10:27:15 AM »
In with my pennyworth - from the back the waist seam looks too low - I'd go with the elastic waist check and then remove the excess from the bodice length before fiddling with a sway back. I agree with @Ohsewsimple  - do the simple thing first.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »
I'm very short-waisted so much so, that it's practically an empire line. :laughing:  I can always see a too long bodice and the need to find the TRUE waistline.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 15:36:48 PM »
I am puzzled by this, particularly as we do not know @RachelB's true waistline.  Way the so-called swayback adjustment rather than establishing the correct nape to waist length?

@UttaRetch This first thing I would do is make sure the waist is in the right place.  But having seen the front tier doesn’t seem to be excess fabric like there is on the back.  So if the back only has excess that says sway back and only the back would need altering.  But I would definitely want to establish the waist position first.

RachelB

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 18:01:19 PM »
In with my pennyworth - from the back the waist seam looks too low - I'd go with the elastic waist check and then remove the excess from the bodice length before fiddling with a sway back. I agree with @Ohsewsimple  - do the simple thing first.

@Catllar I decided to raise the waist a little and sewed a new muslin.  I will try it on today and see if that helps.  I have never had problem before with the back bodice fitting, so I am wondering if maybe this pattern just had a lower waist from the other patterns I have sewn.  I hope this has fixed it, but I will see after while.  I pray it does.