The Sewing Place

Using binder attachments on BLCS

Bodgeitandscarper

Using binder attachments on BLCS
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:43:59 AM »
So, I had a little play with the single fold binder attachment yesterday, and it doesn't seem as easy as I thought it would be - any tips for making it easy?  I also got the hem thingies, down fellers I think they are called, again not as easy as I thought.  It may be because I was using odd shaped scraps, and very thin jersey, but I had such high hopes for them. Help!

b15erk

Re: Using binder attachments on BLCS
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »
I tried for a long time to make sense of the binders for my Vintage machines, until I decided that life is far too short.  Evey now and again, when I'm at a loose end, I have another go, but generally I leave them in the box!  ;)

The hemmers are fiddly but do-able, the binders, impossible, but the buttonholers are to die for!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 16:44:52 PM »
Bodge if you are on Facebook there is a very useful group called Cover stitch/Cover lock  which has lots of links to various videos and tutorials.

I've yet to get to terms with my binder. The problem is that the only time I think to try it is when I need to get something done and give up when it doesn't work first time. I should really have a play when I have no time constraints

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 18:05:53 PM »
I've got two binders.... haven't tried either one yet, will watch with interest.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 22:37:50 PM »
... it doesn't seem as easy as I thought it would be - any tips for making it easy?

You're not on your own, B&S.

I have two binders, one a swing-out type and one a fixed with a snake (serpentine wire to hold the binding in line with the folder). I've tried the swing-out and found it a great challenge to use with nylon lycra which would start off okay but then slip out underneath. It soon became clear that I'd need to do some serious testing to find out how to get the best results which I've not yet had the time to undertake properly.

I'm on the group mentioned by Ellabella and get rather disheartened by the number of prospective buyers who seem to think a machine without a binder is unacceptable before they've even tried it. I can't help but wonder how many of them buy one (at a considerable cost for the branded ones) try it a couple of times and never touch it again.

Fortunately it's very easy to bind knits without a binder, hence I've put it off so often.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 21:23:27 PM »
I have got a binder for my Babylock coverstitch machine, but chose to get an industrial one for it so it was pretty cheap.    I have used it but not a lot.  It does take some practise. And as said, it,s easy to bind knits without.  It did work well with woven fabrics from what I remember.  I just don't have time to play. I'd rather be making things.