The Sewing Place

Are these buttons going to work?

ClareInStitches

Are these buttons going to work?
« on: April 09, 2021, 17:07:24 PM »
I am making a light weight cotton blouse and have found that I have buttons of the perfect number, dimensions and colour in my stash. Good Heavens, I hear you cry, That's a first!

Any way, they have a little oval shank on the back, rather than two holes. Will I be trying to do the impossible if I use them on my blouse? Will the shank always push the fabric apart so that the fabric won't lie flat? Is there a buttonhole made for this style of button?   

Many thanks for your thoughts,
Clare.

BrendaP

Re: Are these buttons going to work?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 17:32:33 PM »
@ClareInStitches   Make your sample buttonholes on scraps of the bllouse fabric - as you would normally do - and sew buttons onto a separate piece of the same fabric (folded and with the same interfacing etc) and then fasten them together and see how you think they look.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 17:48:08 PM »
Ive always wondered about these buttons with a shank too ...

Why are they like made like this? and can you only attach them by hand-stitching ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 18:44:05 PM »
Ive always wondered about these buttons with a shank too ...

Why are they like made like this? and can you only attach them by hand-stitching ??

Buttons with a shank are good for thicker or more layers of fabric. If I'm sewing a button with holes onto something that's a bit thicker, e.g. a jacket, I will hold the button away from the fabric by a few millimetres whilst sewing it on, then wind the thread around the thread loops between the button and the fabric to form a shank. The shank gives room for the thickness of the buttonhole layer to sit under the button without squeezing it or pulling it. I don't know if there's a machine to sew on a shank button, but it's probably not that much quicker by the time you've messed around with securing the ends.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 19:05:34 PM »
Are you worried the shank will open up the buttonhole?  I wonder if a buttonhole with a rounded end would be better, so the shank sits at that end?

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 10:06:36 AM »
Thank you @dolcevita  :)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 10:13:28 AM »
Not sure if it helps, but here are a couple of photos of the shank buttons on one of my blouses. I used them because I liked the pearl effect rather than because they are shank buttons.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

ClareInStitches

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 11:15:33 AM »
Many thanks for all of your posts.

I shall try BrendaP's suggestion and 'audition' the buttons with a trial button hole and see if I like it.  I see that my machine has a couple of buttonhole designs and I'll give those a go too. As Bodgitandscarper said, a rounded end might suit better.

You have been a great help. Thank you.

Clare