The Sewing Place

Simplicity Spring 2021 patterns

UttaRetch

Simplicity Spring 2021 patterns
« on: April 09, 2021, 17:07:37 PM »
See them here.  I like

but realise that I have tossed a very similar pattern into the donate bag.   :thinking:

Starryfish

Re: Simplicity Spring 2021 patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 17:34:20 PM »
Some of these are quite nice, but I have taken a vow never to buy Simplicity again. The giant amount of ease annoys me. Who needs a skirt with 4 inches of ease around the waist?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 17:43:53 PM »
For once, I actually like one.  It's the knit top with the pocket and slit.  I like the short version too.
Life's too short for ironing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 20:44:33 PM »
Nice enough stuff but will be ages before they land on the UK website. The US site does have sales from time to time but I don't think they are as cheap as the Vogue etc sales. Also the one time I did order from the US Simplicity site they declared the postage on the customs form. I didn''t get charged any tax but it would be much more likely if the postage is on the form.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

mudcat

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 23:32:39 PM »
I won't buy Simplicity.  The last time I decided to try one I thought it was awful.  Too much ease to the point I had to make XS or XXS.  Can't remember. Illogical techniques for the style.  I don't tend to follow instructions anyway but still.

However, I think the face coverings for kids with the animal faces is cute.  But probably too late since I expect the mask requirement to disappear by the end of the year for most places.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 00:32:19 AM »
Some of these are quite nice, but I have taken a vow never to buy Simplicity again. The giant amount of ease annoys me. Who needs a skirt with 4 inches of ease around the waist?

Me!!! It seems that ever since my gallbladder was removed I bloat or deflate multiple times per day in response I assume to what I eat. I can vary up to 4 inches multiple times. It's like watching a Puffer fish.  :o

I should buy stock in an elastic factory.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 00:41:54 AM »
@mudcat I think mask wearing is going to become normalized going forward. Not everyone of course but all sorts of people have mentioned not getting a cold or the flu and allergy sufferers and asthmatics are doing better. I know a lot of people online that plan on still wearing them. I know I will be.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

mudcat

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 01:10:48 AM »
@Renegade Sewist I also plan to continue to wear a mask when I'm out amongst people as I was quite happy that I had no upper respiratory issues this winter like I did for months the last few winters. I've never had the flu but even this year I had no colds. However, based on where I live I expect that people will slowly stop wearing them over the next 4-8 months since there's no legal requirement though most businesses here still require them.

As far as Simplicity goes it may be that not many would buy this pattern so late in the pandemic since people who make masks most likely started eons ago.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 08:23:46 AM »
Like a lot of people on TSP I set up my mask factory early on in the pandemic and gave them to all and sundry. When the more transmissible variants arrived some of the experts suggested it would be sensible to go to higher grade masks so I invested in a bunch of FFP2 masks for the family - particularly for DS and his partner who are teachers and not vaccinated yet.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 09:13:55 AM »
On the positive side there are a number of good basic patterns in this collection if you haven't already got a zillion basic patterns. Also a number of the patterns are shown on bigger models which must be a good thing.

BriarRose

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 16:25:20 PM »
No one is going to have to wrassle me for one of these patterns. Some of them I still have from the first time they were issued thirty or forty years ago.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

whofilets

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 02:59:24 AM »
I like the two Mimi G patterns, even if I'm not sure i'd be brave enough to sew OR wear them. At least its something different! I can't say this is the 40th "crop top and harem pants set" we've seen this season, right?  :P

All the rest, with the pastel solid colors is giving me a sisterwives fundamentalist vibe. It's not that they're not pretty, and I respect dressing modestly. But a whole wall of them felt like I was looking at a cult.
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 08:24:07 AM »
I removed

from the donate pile.  It is similar to the Simplicity I referenced above, but with better lines.  I will also work for a knock-off that I have in mind.