The Sewing Place

Big fat hello from (almost) newbie!

Sedalin

Big fat hello from (almost) newbie!
« on: April 09, 2021, 20:35:45 PM »
Hello from Pinner, London!
It's so cool I've found this forum! (I've already had a quick sneaky look here and there before I have introduced myself).
When I was a kid my mom and dad teaches me a little bit of sewing and leather craft. Mostly hand made things but I have also had a spin on sewing machines few times. For last three years (ever since my daughter was born) I have been thinking about buying sewing machine - for fun of course but also to use and reuse creativity as well as old clothes. Unfortunately being indecisive I have always had other things to buy/pay for so sewing machine was always pushed somewhere down to the bottom of the list.

It has changed when few weeks ago I have found really heavy, canvas covered, blue box with sewing machine inside. It was casually standing in the full sun by one of the rubbish bins. I took it home with no hopes of it being still functional. Was I surprised! Motor needed brushes replacement and good clean but apart from that there was little more needed to start sewing on it. In the compartment under the machine were manuals, bobbins, four tubes of needles, adjustment tools, 6 different feets (still packed in the plastic bags with little description tags attached) and other bits and bobs.
I think this machine is a bit old (judging by its weight and build) but mechanism looks to be barely used. I really don't know why someone got rid of it instead of at least selling it (maybe  because motor was smoking because of the dirt and old brushes) but thanks to this I finally do own the sewing machine. (It's Janome 574)

Phew. This was a long one!

Hello again! I'm going to start browsing the forum again!

Puzzler

Re: Big fat hello from (almost) newbie!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 20:38:52 PM »
Welcome to TSP, Sedalin. What a great find, a free sewing machine!

Sedalin

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 20:45:46 PM »
Thanks! It is great find indeed - especially for someone as indecisive as me. I wouldn't make my mind and buy one for next couple of years probably.

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 21:03:46 PM »
Hi @Sedalin .  Welcome to TSP.  :drink:

charley

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 22:04:51 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too. Love your story.

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 22:21:54 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP What a great find.  :drink:  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 23:17:41 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 23:33:04 PM »
Hello and welcome @Sedalin. Hope you will get to love that machine!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 06:57:16 AM »
Hello and welcome Sedalin.
Still learning

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 08:18:11 AM »
Hello there...it’s a lovely looking machine.

Diane

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »
Hello @Sedalin , what a super find, can't wait to see what you make
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 09:38:01 AM »
Welcome to TSP @Sedalin , what a great find! 
Todays's find here was a discarded burger box on the driveway next to my car :angry:  Not in the same league.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

William

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 09:51:22 AM »
Hello and Welcome!

Nice way to startoff with a free Janome! Hope you enjoy.

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

fajita

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 09:57:09 AM »
Welcome @Sedalin  :drink: :flower:

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 14:10:47 PM »
Welcome Sedalin. What a fabulous way to start your machine sewing with such a lucky find! Enjoy!  :D

Be warned though, being a natural prevaricator or not, now that you're here your fabulous machine may soon turn into your first fabulous machine...  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.