The Sewing Place

Knitting row counter

annieeg

Knitting row counter
« on: April 09, 2021, 22:50:31 PM »
Dies anyone have a favourite make of knitting row counter?
I find the small ones are always getting mislaid and I'm currently using a pen/paper.   I just wondered if someone knows of a clever design/make.
TIA

sleepingwolf

Re: Knitting row counter
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 07:58:48 AM »
I use these little digitial counters.  I wear mine on the index finger of my left hand and press the button with my thumb at the end of each row.  I can do this without having to put down the empty needle which is helpful.  The strap is adjustable though if you have very slim fingers you might need to wear it on your thumb.

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 09:19:07 AM »
As soon as a pattern gets complicated - and yes I'm looking at YOU SOCKS with the different front half to back half - nothing beats a pencil and little notepad  :)
All my row counters are the vintage ones that you stick on the end of the needle, but the notepad gets used more often - anything with repeats for example.

Stitches

Celia

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »
I use an app on my phone or actually more often my iPad that I use.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 11:58:43 AM »
I rather like that finger one - no chance of mislaying that while using (famous last words!)
Life's too short for ironing.

whofilets

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 23:05:17 PM »
I use an app on my phone too, because I am less likely to lose my phone than my row counter (and I can always call my phone with my husband's phone or through the desktop!)
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 23:07:23 PM »
What happened to the little counters that slide on to your knitting needles?  I used one of those.
Willing but not always able :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 06:27:05 AM »
  What happened to the little counters that slide on to your knitting needles?  I used one of those.
You still get those.  I have a couple but can't use them because I always knit on short needles with cables.  It's pen and ball band for me.
Life's too short for ironing.

maliw

At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »
I have one of those too, but I don't often use it, I prefer pen and paper.  Either a small notebook or scribbles 5 bar gates all over the pattern.

I have an antique gadget inherited from great aunt Annie.  She appears to have used it a lot but it's quite heavy (metal) and clunky by modern standards.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 12:42:16 PM »
Mine is a sheep!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Deafoldbat

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 18:49:35 PM »
@LeilaMay When knitting socks I use a marker to show end of round, though to begin with the cast on tail is enough, and hook one on (they're like little padlocks) every 10 rounds or so, then at the last row before the heel flap, and anywhere else they might be needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Locking-Stitch-Markers

For other knitting, I work out which rows need increases/decreases, and write them down, and have a row counter on the end of the needle - a barrel shaped one.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 18:51:41 PM by Deafoldbat »

LeilaMay

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 19:06:38 PM »
I know the kind of thing you mean @Deafoldbat - I use the little metal stitch markers because I weave my cast on end in on the first round so no ends  :) But the paper and pencil works well for me - helps me keep track visually of where I am at.

In my current sock pattern for instance, it has an eight row repeating pattern on the front half, and a two row repeating pattern on the back half, and I would just lose myself with out the trusty notebook :)