The Sewing Place

Help with accurate measuring

Flobear

Re: Help with accurate measuring
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 14:03:12 PM »
Sometimes I get a problem cutting, especially longer cuts, because the arthritis in my left hand causes me to loosen the pressure on the ruler. Occasionally I notice that I slightly drag or tilt the rotary cutter and this pulls the fabric a little away from the ruler's edge. And to cap it all, I have an astigmatism which means I don't always see perfectly straight!

Do you think some of your fabrics are a little loosely woven and go out of shape a wee bit? If so, spray starch is your friend.

I often re-check the measurements of the pieces I am about to sew, too.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 16:50:02 PM »
I find that the inch marking lines on quilting rulers can be quite thick, especially the yellow ones, and obscure the edge that I am using to line up the ruler.  Its not always possible but if I can,  I try to use the little marks in between the inch lines for more accurate placement of the ruler.

Definitely, I don't like the rulers with thick yellow markings.  My favourite is the Olfa one with thin black markings but I know that @Iminei will say otherwise.

I know you can cut multiple layers of fabric with a rotary cutter but the more layers there are, the more potential there is for slippage between layers.  I don't usually cut more than a double layer.

Not P&Q, but this photos show what can happen with (professional) cutting through multiple layers.

This time last year when I was sewing scrubs I had one batch which was pre-cut for me - and never again!  The inaccuracy was dreadful and all I could do was trim away whichever bit happened to be bigger so that the two sides matched - without knowing whether one half had grown or the other side had shrunk.  :o

With the facings for the V-neck I puzzled over it for quite a while before I realised that the facings were with a smaller neckhole than the main piece.  I know I wasn't the only one with that problem, there was some discussion on the FB group about it and I know that my photos helped at least one other person who just couldn't work it out.

If large professional equipment cutting through multiple layers can do that then it's not surprising that mere mortals using just a hand held ruler and rotary cutter can also get slippage.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Front main piece folded in half

Facing folded in half

facing placed on top of bodice; initially it looked as though it was too short.

facing aligned with the shoulder seams and trimmed to match the bodice neckline.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ann

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 17:04:53 PM »
This is a great topic for discussion. I'm stepping back in to do some quilting as I have a new Juki sewing machine. I'm waiting for a plexiglass insert to arrive so I can sit my machine flush with my sewing cabinet. It's too high up for me to quilt on. In the mean time, I'm practicing a few things.

Accurate seam allowances - Sewing ledge Her hacks are great and I'm starting to use them.

How to Cut Straight

How to Sew Straight

How to Iron for Quilting

New cutting blade, new blade, and clean your machine. I'm still learning these techniques and keep going over them when I'm working on any project. I do hope these videos help you. They have given me a lot of food for thought and techniques to use.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 18:57:44 PM »
Perfect points everytime

You dont even need to iron before you do this .... just try it out on some contrasting fabrics
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 20:00:47 PM »
@Sara-S Pretty much covered by all the other posts, just my penn'orth now!

Check the grain - get it as straight as possible, and check regularly that it hasn't drifted. With a sharp blade you can cut up to 4 layers (carefully!)

Find the trick that works for you to align the edges when sewing - seam guide, bit of tape, whatever. Cut 3x2½ squares and sew them together using your best effort at a scant ¼" seam. the centre square shoule be 2" between the seams, more and you aren't taking in enough, less and you're taking too much.

Cut your pieces a thread or two too large and trim the sections to the right size - not 100% reliable and tedious to trim  lots of edges, but sometimes just that sliver off the edge will make it fit.

Now, I like the Omnigrid rulers with the yellow markings either side of the actual size line. Cutting with the outside yellow line gives you that thread or so to play with. Using the mat grid requires careful postioning and, again which side of the line do you cut?

Keep the cutter blade sharp - you can get sharpeners which will work for a few times, but sooner or later you need to change the blade, at which point you wonder why you didn't do it last week/month/year.

If you are cutting wof strips, make sure the selvedges are properly lined up or you will get a V-shaped strip. When cutting long lines, take your time and pause and walk your hand up the ruler every few inches to keep it steady. Some people use a handle to hold the ruler - one of those shower handles you attach with suckers.

If you're making a pattern with alternating plain squares, don't cut them until you've made the pieced blocks. Check the sizes and if they've come out bigger or smaller than expected, you can adjust the size of the plain squares.

Remember it's the 'p'-word. Practice. Perfection is only for God. ;)

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 13:15:33 PM »
Jumping in to ask : I've got a very vintage Singer - does such a thing as a 1/4" foot exist for this ? Currently using the generic general foot with a bit of  sticky tape marking the seam in the machine bed. Not ideal.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 13:27:26 PM »
You need one of these 
It's full adjustable to whichever width you want.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

LeilaMay

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 14:05:59 PM »
I have a 1/4" foot for my singers - I got it from the featherweight shop before shipping prices got so high.
They had a nice article about different 1/4 inch feet - let me see if I can find it  . . .

https://singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/quarter-1-4-foot-comparison

The foot I bought fits on all my vintage Singers apart from the back-clamping 66.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 18:48:41 PM »
@Sara-S The other thing(s) that crossed my mind - are you standing up to cut the fabric? Standing is best but unless you have a surface at the right height it is very hard on your back. The best height is like a kitchen work top. If you stand in front of it you should be able to put your hands down flat on it without stooping. It also helps if you can walk round it and cut from either side so you don't have to move the fabric once you've made the clean edge cut. Putting blocks under the legs of a table can raise it to the right level. Stand behind the cutter; like using a saw, if you're straight and balanced it wil be easier to keep the cutter and ruler from slipping.

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 20:04:41 PM »
You need one of these 
It's full adjustable to whichever width you want.

Hmm. I don't have a measurement guide on the needle plate so I'd still need the sticky tape guide, wouldn't I?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Sara-S

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2021, 20:12:44 PM »
@Deafoldbat  yes I stand when I am cutting. I use a very steady table which is nice & tall, like me.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Lilian

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 21:06:02 PM »
I was having trouble with the 1/4 inch foot, it was twisting about and not accurate.  I decided to take it off and use the markings on my machine but then found this little gadget and I love it!

You get 2 of them along with a plastic measure guide with holes for your needle to accurately place the guide.  It sticks to the plate very firmly and is very hard to remove, I found that twisting it and pulling on the red tape helps lift it off.  It leaves no residue, a bit like those lint removers that you rinse off. It is brilliant and cost I think £2.95  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lilian

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2021, 21:07:02 PM »
Thought I added this photo  :facepalm:

Willing but not always able :)

Sara-S

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2021, 16:12:50 PM »
I have finished the top of my quilt and squared it up. I even managed to measure the backing accurately. When I pinned them together, they actually matched up!

I took out the folding table (the one I used to use as my sewing table) so I had enough room to work.

I also took some good advice and cut it a little big at first, then trimmed it down, as you can fix “too big” more easily that “too small”.

Nice to know I am making some progress.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2021, 16:31:38 PM »
Have you looked at the Cot quilt from start to finish tut in the Darkside ??? Regards layering and binding???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again