The Sewing Place

Hi i'm new here and looking for a new machine - please help!

Joni_80

Hi i'm new here and looking for a new machine - please help!
« on: April 11, 2021, 16:09:36 PM »
 Hi Everyone,
I am a new member.  I have been sewing in on way or another since I was a child, when my stepmum gave me her Singer Magic sewing machine. I took it to uni with me, where I studied a Textiles Degree and it survived me feeding it plaster of paris and wool concoctions. Yes I used it and abused it, but it never let me down.

I went travelling a few years back and had to sell most of my stuff and so it had to go... Since then a friend gave me her very basic E&R machine, which was pretty awful to sew on, and I finally killed it making hundreds of face masks during lockdown.

So... I would like to purchase another machine. My limit is around £300, but I would like a machine that I can quilt on, but isn't going to break easy - none of these plasticy flimsy machines.  Ideally with drop feed for free motion quilting and a extension table/capacity for one.I am new to quilting, but would prefer an intermediate machine as I'm not new to sewing.

I've so far been looking at Singer Heavy Duty 4423/4432/4411, or Brother/Janome machines.   
If anyone has any advice it would be greatly received.
Thank you   :loveit:

Ellabella

Re: Hi i'm new here and looking for a new machine - please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 16:20:25 PM »
Hi and welcome @Joni_80 .

I think lots of us on here would suggest going for a second hand machine as you would normally get lots more bang for your buck and would be more likely to get something with some substance.  At the moment a lot of second hand machines are going for silly money, as there has been such an upsurge of interest due to the lockdown.   Have you got a local dealer where you can try things out?

If not try somewhere like SMD in Wrexham who will offer lots of good advice.

I love my Janome, but would avoid a new Singer, old ones of course are another matter.

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 16:27:51 PM »
I'll second what @Ellabella says about Singers. I too love my Janome.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 17:37:33 PM »
Hi @Joni_80, welcome from me too. I totally agree with Ellabella & Helen M about going for an older second hand machine, they are far better and to be honest I've had 3 new machines over the years and still prefer the older (ancient) ones my favourite is actually older than me and I'm 67

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 18:30:40 PM »
Have a look here  and here
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 19:50:48 PM »
I've always liked the look of the Janome  HD series @Joni_80

https://sewingmachineguide.co.uk/janome-hd2200

A nice 10kg so it's got some musclec

Bit over budget new but Russell at SMD is good for a barter or he might even have a demo in the wings and still get a guarantee.

Oh and welcome. :)
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

charley

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 19:52:51 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too. Good advice from the experts on here for you, and I hope you find a good machine.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 20:19:51 PM »
I wouldn’t recommend a new Singer, they don’t have a good reputation and there’s no such thing as a heavy duty machine. There’s no such thing as a semi industrial either, it’s either domestic or industrial. Most people have their preference.. I’m a Pfaff fan.

Joni_80

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 21:15:11 PM »
Thank you for all your swift and wise replies.

I hear you! I had read some reviews saying that the singer heavyweight was a bit of a swizz and it’s not anywhere near as good as it makes out & perhaps that’s why I have hesitated.

I have been looking at some second hand Janome/Bernina and Pfaff’s but I feel like I’m scratching around in the dark a little. I just missed out on a Brother Innovis 400 on ebay for £200 because I was dithering.  I will take all your comments / advice on board & have a look at the links you have kindly suggested. 

Feel free to send me any recommendations Of second hand models.

I will let you all know what I plumb for in the end!
Thank you ☺️
 :P

CraftyIrish

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 22:52:34 PM »
I have the singer heavy duty 4411 and it has given me no trouble at all, it runs through anything I put under it. Now saying that I didn't know what I wanted in a machine when I bought it in 2019. For quilting the throat is too small if your doing big quilts. I would have liked more stitch options. I would stay away from it if that's what you where hoping to use it for.

I will soon be selling mine whenever I save up for a better machine.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Joni_80

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 09:38:59 AM »
Thanks @CraftyIrish
Yes, I think the 4423/4432 have more stitches, but I am looking to be able to do large quilts... eventually  :D
So I think I will look out for a second hand model as others have suggested.
Thank you  <3

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 09:40:15 AM »
Sewing Machine World in Kings Lynn are very helpful - I see you are in Norwich, so maybe not too far away.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 09:47:55 AM »
Rather than rushing out to buy the best machine for all the eeeenormous quilts you are going to make ... Why not work your way up to your perfect machine.

The Good brands hold their value and are often to be found second hand as someone else upgrades and can be sold on if you too upgrade as long as you look after it well.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 10:26:22 AM »
Welcome @Joni_80 you are in the right place to find a machine, lots of good advise already given.  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »
Welcome to TSP @Joni_80 !

I haven't bought a new machine in nearly 40years, when I bought my Pfaff 1475cd, which is still used regularly.  I fell in love with the old Singers when I saw the quality of the straight stitch, and the beautiful sound they make - they just purr along...

I still use my old Singers on a daily basis, 201k, 611g and an old Bernina 730, and my trusty old Pffaf 1475cd.

However, if you want a more modern machine, my recommendation would be to go to one of the companies mentioned, and look at second hand - you will get more for your money.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.