The Sewing Place

Stuck on easy pattern cutting layout

Arloony

Stuck on easy pattern cutting layout
« on: April 15, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »
Hello,

I am rather new to sewing (1 year old) but practiced more on quilting, making small pouch bags, buntings, etc…and never made clothes before.

I have started a sewing course from Centre of Excellence….have any of you beginners completed that course before?

As part of the course….I purchased my first easy pattern for bottom PJs (Simplicity 6859, I am making photo A).
And already I am stuck!! Lol….

I don’t understand how to fold the fabric to lie down the pattern on?

Selvage on the top and bottom…with a double thickness…..
Does that mean the fabric is folded along the length side of the fabric as supposed to the width??   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Also...what is the "nap"

I appreciate your help in advance :)

many thanks
Arlene :sew:

toileandtrouble

Re: Stuck on easy pattern cutting layout
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 11:57:06 AM »
@Arloony The nap is the sort of 'pile' on the fabric. If you stroke it one way and then the other, you might feel it. Direction affects the way the colour shows sometimes.  Some things like cotton don't have one, but the pattern may also affect the way you cut it so think of pattern as a sort of nap. 
If you fold a length of fabric in half, top to bottom, one side will face up and the other down. That is why they have shown it cut into 2 separate pieces, so that the pattern/nap will face the same way on both.
Make sure you put right sides together as well, or you can cut out two right sides instead of one right and one left.
If you take a piece of paper and draw arrows all over one side, all facing up, then cut it in half across the direction of the arrow, you can see what happens when you arrange it differently.
Keep asking if you get stuck.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:22:18 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Arloony

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 13:27:43 PM »
@toileandtrouble thank you very much for your quick reply.

I understand what nap is thank you.

However I am not sure I still get it about this double thickness cutting layout  >< :'(
I am so sorry to seem so stupid.
I just can't get around my head how it works. so annoying.  :boohoo:
I tried to see if there was anything which explains in video...but cannot find anything

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 13:41:49 PM »
@Arloony layouts are usually done on double layers of fabric.  You only have a pattern piece for one half of a front or back. So in this case you need to cut two front legs and two back legs.  Cutting them out at the same time makes it quick.  The layout used is the most efficient use of fabric.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 13:49:41 PM »
@Arloony Has your fabric got a one-way design or any nap? If not fold it in half across the width and the selvedges will lay on top of each other at the top and bottom with the edges that have been cut instore both falling at one end. If it does have nap or a one-way design still fold it the same way and lay your pattern pieces out on top to make sure that they will fit (which they should if you have the required amount of fabric) then remove them and cut the fabric in half widthways and turn the top piece round 180 degrees keeping the fabric right sides together.

PS You're not stupid - sometimes what seems to be the most basic thing can bamboozle us.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 13:54:17 PM by coffeeandcake »

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 14:08:47 PM »
The way the diagram shows the layout is that the fabric isn't folded. It is illustrated as two pieces of fabric on top of one another, so the fabric has been cut in half across its width, then the two pieces put together.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 14:39:54 PM »
With that layout you must remember to place the two pieces of fabric either right side to right sde or wrong side to wrong side. 

If you get them both the same way up you will end up with two left leg fronts and two right leg backs (or vice versa).
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Arloony

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 15:46:33 PM »
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to me with my silly question! I am so embarrassed! lol :|

I think I am overthinking it to be honest...panicking... worried to cut incorrectly and waste my nice fabric (I chose batik cotton).

I will give it a go....and I cut it wrong then I am sure I can make something else out of the fabric......it is never wasted really is it?  :P

:*

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 17:14:48 PM »
Keep on asking questions - no such thing as a silly one.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 19:46:36 PM »
worried to cut incorrectly and waste my nice fabric (I chose batik cotton).

I will give it a go....and I cut it wrong then I am sure I can make something else out of the fabric......it is never wasted really is it? 

Thee will be some bits left over, even after you have cut it all perfectly.  A couple of small scraps are needed to check your machine tension before you sew the real thing, but having chosen batik cotton the rest of the left overs are the start of a P&Q stash.   0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 21:20:58 PM »
The only silly question is the one you don’t ask!  :)

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 15:52:55 PM »
@Arloony ... Im following this with interest as I will shortly embark on the same project ... Keep asking the questions!

Im now bamboozled about how to layout my fabrics ... Fold across the width ????!!!  :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Arloony

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 16:22:17 PM »
@Iminei ...oh really?
which pattern have you chosen?

I am attacking mine this weekend...Wish me luck!  :P

jesster

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 19:04:21 PM »
HERE is a video that demonstrates different types of layouts.  The layout @Arloony is describing comes at the very end of the video.  If the fabric has nap or a design that has an obvious right-side-up vs upside-down print, that top piece should be rotated 180 degrees and then put back down on the one underneath.  That will keep the nap/design running in the same direction on both pieces. 

You can try this with a piece of paper to see how it works.  Draw a smile face near the top of the paper and another near the bottom of the paper.  :)  Fold the paper in half so the fold is between the 2 faces you drew.  Cut along the fold.  Peek under the top piece and you will see that the smile is upside down.  Turning the top paper 180 degrees will cause both smile faces to be right side up when you put them together again.  If this were a printed fabric, you could now cut out your pattern with both the smiles going in the same direction.  If you had cut without turning the top piece of fabric, half of your pants would have the smiles upside down.

Hope this doesn't make it more confusing!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 19:54:01 PM »
@jesster That is what I was trying to do with the arrows.  I think your smileys are clearer to understand!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m