The Sewing Place

Stuck on easy pattern cutting layout

jesster

Re: Stuck on easy pattern cutting layout
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 20:14:32 PM »
@toileandtrouble - I understood just what you meant.  By the time I finished my post, I was so involved I forgot that you had already said it!   :facepalm:  Sigh...  Sorry for the repetition.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 20:33:58 PM »
@jesster I get carried away too, but I did think you explained it more clearly for someone who has never done it before.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 07:09:19 AM »
Well that didnt work for me at all .....

I drew my smilie faces

:D

folded in half

:D

cut on the fold

opened up and the smilies are as exactly as they were

:angry:

:angry:

Turning the top smilie 180 degrees just made them do this

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

:(

Confused !!!!  :S

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:15:19 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

jesster

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 17:38:55 PM »
@Iminei   :laughing:   Obviously my explanation was clear as mud!  There's a reason they say one picture is worth a thousand words and if I ever find a youtube video that shows it better, I'll post it. 

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 19:39:43 PM »
Don't know what I would do without videos, as soon as I come across something not sure on or want to know/see variations on how to, off I trot. Never any sound though, just watching does me fine.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

StitchinTime

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 20:14:59 PM »
@Iminei Did you fold side to side or top to bottom?

Arloony

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 08:17:15 AM »
I think it is raw edge to raw edge isn’t it? Ending up with selvage on top and selvage at the bottom.

That video @jesster have sent is very good. The bit about this special fold shows at 14.50mn

:* :sew:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 09:33:23 AM »
@Iminei You went wrong just after "cut along the fold" - you then said you "opened up".   DON'T open up, leave one on top of the other, just rotate one 180 degrees.

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 08:14:45 AM »
@SIT  top to bottom

@Bodge  ...  Ok I can get that ... Now, why are we doing this again ?????  -<  :S

@Arloony  ... Pattern ????????   :[
I just thought I'd place my disintegrating PJ bots on the fabric and cut round them ?!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:19:33 AM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »
If that's what you're doing @Iminei you're overthinking it!  All you need to do is fold your fabric down the middle - selvedge to selvedge.

If there is a direction to your new pattern make sure you put the pieces down on it so the pattern runs correctly.  If there isn't a pattern, any way will do.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 12:05:42 PM »
@Arloony This is definitely the right place for questions! I recently took up sewing again and this forum has been invaluable. Honestly, the lovely sewing people on here could write the most amazing book on sewing techniques!  :grouphug:

The one thing that really helps me with my sewing is to visualise the end result. What are you trying to achieve? If you can see how you want the fabric pattern (directional or otherwise) to appear on your garment then placing the paper pieces on the fabric becomes meaningful to you.

When I’m laying out my paper pieces I may glance at the layout diagram and then usually I ignore it!!!  :rolleyes: I made some checked PJs the other month and my focus was on making sure that the checks on the left and right legs matched at the crotch seam line. If I’d followed the layout diagram I doubt I could have done this. (There’s a photo of said PJs on page 3 of my members’ diary if you want to have a look. )

For me personally I think the cutting out stage is probably the most important part of dressmaking.  I always focus on the grainline (this is shown on each paper pattern piece). If you cut your fabric pieces off grain then chances are your garment won’t hang well, regardless of how beautifully it’s been sewn. I sometimes don’t cut fabric 'on the fold' and I usually prefer to trace ‘whole’ paper pattern pieces. So for example for a top, half a back paper pattern piece becomes a whole back paper pattern piece! If that makes sense.

Looking forward to seeing your lovely PJs.  :thumbsup:

OOhh and just a thought, if you don’t cut on the fold then you must be mindful to cut out left and right pieces!

@Iminei Love your use of emojis! If in doubt gin helps!   :gin: :)

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 12:11:57 PM »

and here's a pic of Lemonsyllabubs PJ bots

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
@Iminei aww thanks.
Just like me they look better from behind!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:35:16 PM by Lemon Syllabub »

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 12:51:06 PM »
Shall I just send you my fabric ?????
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 13:35:10 PM by Iminei »

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2021, 12:54:15 PM »
I wouldn't deprive you of the fun. :)