The Sewing Place

(Not A) Bootstrap Error

Acorn

(Not A) Bootstrap Error
« on: May 30, 2017, 16:02:00 PM »
I have just bought my first Bootstrap pattern.  I used the advanced customisation facility - the Pro Fit measurements - and was looking forward to something that really and truly fitted.  Luckily I looked closely at all of the pattern pieces before cutting anything out.

The armscye at the front measures 4 inches - and yes, the shoulder seam is supposed to be at the top of the shoulder, and the side seam falling from the armpit.  The pattern piece is shown below - the armscye is only identifiable because it comes above the bust dart! 

The sleeve, from seam to seam measures an inch less than the measurement that I gave for my upper arm.  The pattern is for woven fabric.

I have gone through the measurements I gave and none of them seem unreasonable - they are all close to the figures that they would use if I hadn't customised them, some over, some under, just as you might expect.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience with Bootstrap?  I'm reluctant to trust them again because although I could clearly see these errors, next time they may be more subtle.  I have emailed them.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 19:30:13 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

Re: Bootstrap Error
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 16:08:20 PM »
I can't comment regarding experience with them.
Looking at your picture, apart from the strangely shaped and positioned arm gole, the bust dart also looks very odd to me. It looks way too long, judging by the proportions shown in the picture.

elephun

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 17:28:32 PM »
I have that pattern and really like it. The armhole and sleeve are very small. It fits well. The only problem was the length of the bust dart, which I very often have to cut back on.

Since you have the pattern, why not go ahead and make up a test version, while you wait for a response from Bootstrap? That way if it's not right, you'll be able to tell them why.

It can be helpful to get the free preview before ordering so you can see shapes and rough measurements. I have even compared a standard size against my personalized size against my ProFit size to see what's changing.
I really like ProFit, but there are some measurements that I just use the system measurements for rather than my own. After trying more than a few pattern previews, I could see what was going to give me the proper result.
Some of my measurements may have been a bit off as I had to have someone help me with them, so I figured that was probably causing at least part of the discrepancy I was seeing.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 17:44:56 PM »
It is so far out that there really is no point in trying to make it without some very serious alterations.  The circumference of the armscye totals 14 inches - 4 at the front and 10 at the back.  The sleeve is sized to fit the armscye.  Putting a tape measure tightly around my arm from armpit to shoulder (and back again!) gives 19 inches. 

I am tempted to try altering the pattern because clearly the two errors (armhole and width of sleeve) are related.

I did order the pattern review first, but as I could find no information about interpreting what I was seeing it was useless.  I can see now that the error is shown on the review, although it is also very difficult to see because of the grey background colour.

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 17:49:14 PM »
I hesitate to ask but, did you measure along the edge or along the seamlines?
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 17:56:18 PM »
Give them a message and ask. I've had responses to my questions fairly quickly.

I have several Bootstrap patterns and haven't had an issue.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 18:23:04 PM »
I hesitate to ask but, did you measure along the edge or along the seamlines?
Along the seamlines.

I have emailed them.

elephun

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 18:29:32 PM »
When it comes to using the free preview with Bootstrap or Lekala in the future, each square on the grid on the preview represents 4". Sometimes I even print the preview and draw lines representing inches dividing up a box if I need to get a closer idea of what's going on in the preview.
If you are using metric, even better!

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 19:05:28 PM »
Aaaannnnndddd I think I have it sussed.  Mea culpa.  Two of the pro-fit measurements were clearly wrong - I'm not sure what happened as we definitely didn't actually take those measurements, but they were filled in with numbers that were about 4 inches away from the standard.

I've just ordered a preview with the revised measurements - should be with me in 15 minutes or so.

I'm very glad to hear that people have had good experiences of Bootstrap, and have my fingers crossed that this sorts out my (self-inflicted) problems.

Acorn

Re: (Not A) Bootstrap Error
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 19:20:08 PM »
The preview looks good - my version is pretty much consistent with their standard.  It will definitely make a reasonable top!

Thanks for explaining the preview elephun, and thanks again everyone.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 19:31:18 PM by Acorn »

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 21:25:53 PM »
Wow!  I made it almost precisely according to the pattern - I had to make myself, because I always fiddle with something or other.  I moved the dart by about an inch, although it wasn't bad where it was.  And it fits beautifully.

I am a serious Bootstrap convert.   <3  :*

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 21:51:22 PM »
Wow!  I made it almost precisely according to the pattern - I had to make myself, because I always fiddle with something or other.  I moved the dart by about an inch, although it wasn't bad where it was.  And it fits beautifully.

I am a serious Bootstrap convert.   <3  :*

This was a nice turn of events!

They are good aren't they. Have you looked at the design app? I've "designed" a few dresses there :D

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 22:03:16 PM »
I have - when I finished I realised I'd designed the dress I made twice last year so I didn't order it as a pattern!  I'm going to create something a bit more interesting now, I think.   :frock:

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »
This was the one I designed for my friend's wedding using their app. Haven't bought it yet but will do soon!

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »
That's really nice.   <3