The Sewing Place

Advice from the experts

Lowena

Re: Advice from the experts
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 18:24:45 PM »
Really really don't touch China with a barge pole. Read lots of horror stories on TH  :scream:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Esme866

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 07:59:52 AM »
I've also seen the junk from China, niece and friends order cheap and toss if they don't like them. (This attitude/behavior seriously irritates me.)

I could have made this dress for myself quite well by age 15. It is quite simple and the waist from the circle skirt is quite flattering on larger hips. (I know this from experience!) So long as you sourced the same fabrics, if 3 different experienced sewists made the dresses, I would think the dresses would be a vast improvement over virtually anything from China, especially since yours would need to be remade and may mean having to buy a second dress to get the full length of the skirt and fabric to adjust the bodice properly. (The lace overlay could hide the adjustment) unless all three are to be cut to tea length or finished length doesn't matter? Plus, locally made, a slight variation in sleeve length would be possible if the cap sleeve doesn't suit.

I've always preferred making from scratch rather than significantly altering anything - most especially inexpensive polyester items. FWIW.

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 08:10:03 AM »
@RJR_38, I see that you live in Bucks.  If you can get down to London, I suggest Finsbury Park.  I think of it as 'prom central', BUT it's also good for occasionwear.  My sister-in-law got a dress to attend her twin's wedding.

Alexp

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 10:22:08 AM »
When I got married (8 years ago) there was a website called light in the box which had a decent reputation. I didn't use it myself and it was a while back so no idea if they are actually ok or not. I did look and there seemed to be a huge selection so might well be able to coordinate different styles.

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 13:15:47 PM »
Lightinthebox is another Chinese one apparently @Alexp.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

RJR_38

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 21:29:24 PM »
Yes - almost every formal wear website you look at now is China based (even when you search for UK and it has a UK domain name...)

We are looking at other options and appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:59:52 AM by RJR_38 »

RJR_38

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 21:37:25 PM »
@Gernella I've just sent you a PM but your niece is doing my sisters wedding dress alterations- what a small world!!!!  I can't believe it

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 08:42:07 AM »
When I did the dirty deed I got our bridesmaids dresses (3 nieces) from Next !

I found the most glorious summer dress that, if they had made them in an adult size, I would have worn!
They were simple, primrose yellow with beautiful embroidered flowers ... I think we found gorgeous sandals too.

In fact the wedding undies I bought from Next closely resembled the B's dresses in colour ... and they were half the price of EXACTLY the same bra and pants in Ivory ... WTF??!!  :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 08:47:39 AM »
Gorgeous pictures @Im!  My bridesmaid's dress came from Laura Ashley, and was also primrose yellow!  I miss Laura Ashley (as it was in the 80's and 90's, not more recently when it had got very boring).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2021, 08:57:23 AM »
Thank you ... Yes they are good arent they  ... back in the days when I was young(er) and happy ...

It was the best day of that year so far (mid June) and my FIL took the girls swimming/sand castle making when he got bored of it all!(not the most tolerant man)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 09:18:16 AM »
Beautiful photos  @Iminei
My bridesmaids dresses came from M&S. I only  wanted one bridesmaid and mum insisted I  had 2 so I left her to sort out the dresses , she left it so late that I had to rush around and found 2 lovely full length bright pink party dresses, they bridesmaids were only 4 and 5.
After I left the reception the one I didn’t want managed to get her head stuck between some railings and they had to call the fire brigade to get her out.......
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 09:44:08 AM by Iminei »

Greybird

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 10:21:56 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Lovely pictures @Iminei ! Mum's album of my (1st) wedding turned up when we cleared her house a few months ago. I think my daughter had mine, having saved it from the bonfire I was going to put it on.

These were my bridesmaids - my lovely cousins. I think the fabric for all of their dresses cost less than £5 and their mothers made them. I chose the plainest pattern I could find because I was mortified at having to put them to the trouble. It was 1967 though. They were turquoise. My dress (also of the time and plain) was made by my aunt's neighbour and she charged £6.

Edited to add picture!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 10:59:23 AM by Greybird »

Clareew

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »
My neice had a similar problem with the bridesmaids for her wedding - all different sizes and ages and living around the country.  In the end, my daughter and I met her in Kingston and we went to Fabricland and bought metres of fabric which was divided between the bridesmaids who either made or had made their dresses to suit their needs.  There was even enough left for the mother of the bride to have a matching jacket!!

My daughter is on the right sitting and the left standing.

Gernella

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2021, 15:07:36 PM »
When my SIL got married, apparently she was terrified when I took the dress home I would shorten it too much.  I think it came from C&A plain pink with pink lace on top, I don't have any pictures but I still have the dress, which I keep threatening to try on, assuming I can get a leg in.  I did shorten it but I was reasonable  :angel:

When I got married I just had my sister and she just when out to choose her own, there was little time, the bungalow was finished so I was more interested in stuff for that.  I didn't realise you had to order wedding dresses and I went the week before the wedding to find one.  Fortunately a  sample had come in the day before and nobody had tried it on so I had that.  Probably one of the reasons why I can't understand the kerfuffle organising things a year advance.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 15:37:23 PM »
I can't understand that either @Gernella ,
We organised and paid for our wedding in 3 months ( having found a house to buy, not because I was pregnant  :P )
I had one child bridesmaid . Her dress and mine both came from C&A...Off the shelf ( I was a perfect size 10 ) and not fussy at all.
Both dresses, shoes and headbands came to less than £10 altogether...that was in 1971
Triumph of hope over experience :D