The Sewing Place

Advice from the experts

RJR_38

Advice from the experts
« on: April 18, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »
I'm trying to shop bridesmaid dresses  :facepalm:

Normally I love a dress- I know exactly the shape that suits me (plunge neck and/or empire line, nips in under the bust and then flares out). I have lots of lovely dresses. I'm a size 18-20 after putting on some weight due to medical issues in recent years so I know this shape works.

However, bride doesn't want a v-neck or plunge on bridesmaids as a) it is similar to hers and b) one of the bridesmaids has a tattoo on her chest she wants covered (without hurting her feelings).

So this is the type of dress she is looking at. I'm really worried I will just look like a blob (both bride and other bridesmaids are slim and gorgeous). If we got something like this is there anything a professional seamstress could do to make it a little more flattering?

I make bags and quilts so have no idea...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Greybird

Re: Advice from the experts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 10:07:51 AM »
I would think that all this needs is for the skirt to fall from a little higher up - nearer to the bust. As the lace area above the bust is see through it makes up somewhat for not being a plunge neckline. This looks like a style that will suit different shapes.

RJR_38

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 10:16:18 AM »
I was hoping that might be possible but didn't know if it would still 'work'

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 10:55:15 AM »
Greybird said exactly what I was thinking - the style you say suits you also suits me, and I know that dress would work far better for me if the waist was simply higher up.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 12:36:33 PM »
My thought precisely. A small band just below the bust and the skirt flaring below that.
Willing but not always able :)

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »
Yes.. just chop off the skirt and raise it up a few inches.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 13:05:38 PM »
@RJR_38, would the bride consider a different style, but in the same colour?

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 15:42:17 PM »
Thanks everyone!
@UttaRetch

Yes, she would- the bride is my sister and we are very close. If I really hated it she would change it- it has just been very difficult to find one that we know our other sister will like (who is SUPER fussy and would be skin tight, revealing instead could!) and one that will also cover her rather bold tattoo on her chest/collar bone. I'm fairly tall (almost 5'8) so I can pull off full length with no issue.

I'm not as fussy and will wear what makes them happy but I would rather not look like a beached whale next to them if I can help it..

It may not be this exact dress as we have we seen a few similar ones - I just didn't know if if it would be possible in theory.

Of course it doesn't help that most places to order these dresses now are based in China and either won't accept returns or charge a fortune to ship them and won't refund shipping if returned - so we can't even order a few to try for style etc. Covid has made it incredibly hard to even get her wedding dress sorted so the three of us being able to go shopping for actual dresses together is not going to be possible as by the time it is allowed it will be too late.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 15:52:58 PM »
Mentioning China brings me out in shivers-  :scream: is it beyond possibility to contact a local dressmaker and get them made from scratch? If they will need altering anyway.....

From what I've seen of these Made in China dresses  there is a strong chance they won't a) look anything like the advertised garment and b) have any surplus fabric to allow for re-jiggling by your seamstress.

Editing to add: I've been off to have a look at reviews of the site jjshouse. Doesn't look good. There's always a reason why dresses are so cheap.  They are pushing these dresses out all over europe and US as well as Asia.  Please be careful.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 16:02:35 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 16:06:46 PM »
Of course it doesn't help that most places to order these dresses now are based in China ...
I wouldn't even look for "bridesmaid" dresses but rather evening wear from a department store or high street shop.  However, the problem will be finding different styles in exactly the same colour.

RJR_38

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 16:23:51 PM »
Thanks for the words of warning everyone. If it was possible I would also prefer to buy from the UK - it really is almost impossible now. My sister and I have searched for hours for different options.

There are hardly any department stores left and those that do exist have cut their evening wear  ranges to a minimum (even online). Many bridal shops that did make dresses are currently saying they are making/altering wedding dresses only because of the backlog of weddings.

Even having them made from scratch from a seamstress is going to be difficult as we all live in different counties and COVID rules mean we can’t even go the same shop/workshop together until at least late May (only 3 months before the wedding). If we used different people they definitely wouldn’t match at all!

I think our only option is to pick a site that has the best (of very varied) reviews, pick the bigger size if unsure to give extra fabric and go from there. Most of  the wedding dresses from the Bridal shops are made in China now as well... (sisters has arrived and is beautiful, I saw it on Sat with her). Sadly it is the way things are going... To be fair I did something similar for my own wedding 7 years ago and the dresses were lovely.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 16:25:58 PM »
I wouldn't even look for "bridesmaid" dresses but rather evening wear from a department store or high street shop.  However, the problem will be finding different styles in exactly the same colour.
Prom dress or cocktail dress are other search terms.  I agree don't buy from China - the sizes could be all over the place.  I altered a prom dress from China for a friend once - cheap and nasty tat. :'(

Often if two bridesmaids are skinny and one is curvy it looks better if the curvy one has a different style to the others, but if you are buying off-the peg getting the same colours coud be difficult.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 17:22:18 PM »
Another vote for steering clear of stuff from China.  It’s absolute junk and often see through!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 17:54:16 PM »
I think it was Asos that my daughter got her bridesmaid's dress when my son got married - aalthough it was a maternity one as she was 37 weeks.  I wonder if they may have something suitable?  Not that I'm suggesting you need maternity of course  :S  :laughing:

RJR_38

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 18:19:30 PM »
I will take everyone's advice on board, thanks!