The Sewing Place

Should the dog go?

Sheilago

Should the dog go?
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:26:31 AM »
I’ve been making this play quilt for the expected grandson of a friend. The quilt is animal themed using a set of Dashwood fabrics and I thought I’d add a few pieced animal blocks .
 The family have always owned Golden Retrievers, so I made an ‘ orange ‘dog, thinking it would match the orange in some of the fabrics. I laid out the blocks on the floor ( they’ve still to get pale grey sashing), but I feel the dog is jumping out at me. I tried putting it in the corner but that didn’t really help.
Should I make a mustardy dog  :thinking:
What do you think? :woof:  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

Re: Should the dog go?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:30:33 AM »
He is a gorgeous dog, but I would change the colour if I were you.  Some people do like a pop of a different colour though!

It's going to be a lovely quilt.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 10:52:17 AM »
After I was relieved to find you were not getting rid of an actual dog, :loveit: I would leave it in, I think if they have dogs they will love it.

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 11:01:17 AM »
After I was relieved to find you were not getting rid of an actual dog, :loveit:

Certainly not - real dog is very much part of the family! 0_0  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 11:06:21 AM »
I would leave it in - it's the main feature of the quilt. 
Also keep the placement where it is; it's as near as you can get to the rule of thirds both ways on a 16 block quilt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »
Phew, not a real dog!

I'd leave it in if it's for a child, they will love it, and won't be bothered about colours looking "right".

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »
My first thought was oh no! poor doggie but it looks fine to me, I love all the other animal blocks too.
Still learning

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »
I'd change him for mustard but if you leave him the quilt looks fine
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 11:49:02 AM »
I love the pop of the dog but agree that he stands out compared to the other feature blocks ... If you can, I would remake the other animals in 'brighter' colours so they all fit in.

Lovely shaped dog by the way, hand drawn/cut ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 12:28:18 PM »
He does stand out, but I think it gives a spot of interest for the young child. I would leave it in.

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 13:16:30 PM »
It's a bit like 'Where's Wally?' in reverse. 'Where's Doggy?'

I don't know what your plans are for edging, bidning etc but maybe a bit of doggy colour in the edge or at corners would work.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 13:23:15 PM »
Wondered what the dog had done  :laughing:

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 13:25:32 PM »
That’s a good idea @Flobear . I bought the coordinating multi coloured striped fabric for binding, but I might do the binding orange if I leave the orange dog in..I’ll give that some thought.  Also a good idea from @Iminei , but I don’t have the dedication to remake the other 3 animals. :faints:

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 13:27:15 PM »
You could add a wide Orange flange to the striped binding ?

but I don’t have the dedication to remake the other 3 animals. :faints:

Ah now I see that they're FPP ... No I wouldnt remake them either ... I thought you had drawn and appliqued them!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 13:29:28 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

jesster

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 14:47:21 PM »
If you can make 4 more blocks, you could center the doggie, which would make him the star of the quilt?  He deserves the attention if he's the family pet.  :woof: