The Sewing Place

Help needed - shortening stretch jersey trousers.

Sewingsue

Help needed - shortening stretch jersey trousers.
« on: April 19, 2021, 17:41:09 PM »
Title says it all  :)

New jersey trousers delivered today. I like them and they fit nicely - except they are too long (I knew they would be) so I need to shorten them.

Please what is the best way to re-hem stretch jersey?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

Re: Help needed - shortening stretch jersey trousers.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 18:48:06 PM »
In the absence of a coverlock machine I would:
Trim to required length plus single hem allowance.
Apply a strip of stretch interfacing to the inside level with the cut edge.
Overlock, or overedge stitch, or zig-zag very close to the cut edge.
Turn hem and use machine blind hem stitch to turn the hem to stitch through the machining for most stitches and the main fabric for the for just the left hand swings.
Press and wear your trousers with confidence..

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 19:08:33 PM »
How are they hemmed to begin with?
I try to redo any shortens as close to original as I can.

I've had a jersey jumpsuit dropped off today which I need to shorten. Originally they have coverstitch finished hems so I'll twin needle these when I do them. I probably won't overlock the raw edge. No point. Just makes the cut edge a bit bulkier/wavier. Sometimes I'll turn a double hem so there's no raw edge left inside, but not if it's going to make the hem too heavy and bulky.

Sometimes, but not very often, jersey trousers might have traditional 'hand' finished hems (finished with a blind hemmer) in which case I'll overlock the raw edge and hand stitch the hem up. These are usually on heavier, sturdier weight jersey as opposed to the flippy-floppy stretchy jersey.

Sandra.
xxx

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 19:12:17 PM »
@Sewingsue wash them before you hem them. You don't want any surprises later on.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 19:43:22 PM »
@Sandra I am fairly sure they are coverstitched and flippy-floppy stretchy is a perfect description.

Thanks @Renegade Sewist I never thought of them shrinking.

@BrendaP sadly I don't think one pair of trousers justifies buying a coverstitch  :)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 20:01:21 PM »
Ah...flippy-floppy fabric.
They'd be twin needle stitched if they'd arrived here. Wouldn't dream of trying to hand stitch them.
I wouldn't be happy with the finish but perhaps that's my hand stitching  :| that's to blame.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx