The Sewing Place

Need Some Help From the TSP Pattern Sleuths For A Dress Pattern!

Helen M

I have seen a dress that I'd really like to copy but can't seem to find a pattern. The dress is by Wyse London and I've seen it worn by Sophie Raworth on the BBC news 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is another plain view of the same style  -2nd picture brown dress

This from M & S is similar apart from the neckline   - 3rd picture green dress. I have tried it for style but don't like the shade of green.

The skirt is similar to Simplicity 8875 which I have and have seen made up.

Can anyone help please?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 20:14:34 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

BrendaP

Re: Need Some Help From the TSP Pattern Sleuths For A Dress Pattern!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 10:22:24 AM »
McCalls 7863 for the bodice.

McCalls 8032 for the sleeves and then play around with the cuffs.

A straight panel about 15"-18" (40-45cm) deep for the skirt frill; about twice the width of the skirt above it.

Whatever you do it will be a multiple franken-pattern!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 18:11:12 PM »
Achievable with some pattern hacking using the modified bodice of

Liberty's Alexa frill dress pattern and

skirt.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 20:27:14 PM »
Thanks for those suggestions, I hadn't seen any of them!

I had a feeling it would be a mixture of bits and pieces. I measured the M&S dress in various places before returning. It needed lifting by about 3" on the shoulders (and removing the sleeves) on me and it had a side zip so altering at waist level not really an option. Otherwise I liked the overall style.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 23:17:26 PM »
I noticed Sophie Raworth wearing what looked to be the sane dress - or maybe another colourway - on the news this evening, and a very brief clip of her from the news two days ago wearing a very similar style.  She knows what she likes and what suits her newsreader role.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:01:02 AM »
I noticed Sophie Raworth wearing what looked to be the sane dress - or maybe another colourway - on the news this evening, and a very brief clip of her from the news two days ago wearing a very similar style.  She knows what she likes and what suits her newsreader role.

I noticed that too @BrendaP. I think I've seen her in 2 other colours too. What amazed me was all I did was google 'sophie raworth dress on news last night' a few weeks ago and up came the one I wanted to see! I'd never heard of the company, expensive but some nice ideas. They only seem to have a few styles but it makes you realise the difference fabric choice can make.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 16:43:38 PM »
@Helen M, I found possible a better option for the skirt in

but can't get close to the bodice.

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 17:38:05 PM »
Yes it's the bodice that is the issue. Am going to go through my old patterns for blouses and see if there is anything even close. Thanks for that one though!

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 17:34:25 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help with any other pattern suggestions but i really like the style of dress.  :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 19:56:20 PM »
Ooh I like the dresses Sophie Raworth wears. It wouldn't be difficult to add a frill if the rest of the pattern is ok. I haven't got a specific suggestion but check out Stylearc dresses. I see 20% off coupons everywhere for them - sewityourway20 - and you can get a free pdf pattern with your order.
Also Patternsy print the large size Stylearc patterns for a fiver each plus £2 postage for any number of patterns.
McCalls have just listed their summer patterns on the somethingdelightful website. Might be worth a look.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 21:02:21 PM »
Haven't got the link but would New Look 6682 be of interest? Taking the longer dress I would take a bit off the length and add a frill. You might want to Frankenpattern another sleeve on rather than the long sleeves with cuffs.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewcycle

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 15:12:14 PM »
I’ve often admired this look on Sophie Raworth though it would be more of a garden party dress for me. Has anyone mentioned KwikSew 4215. It looks a pretty near match to me except for a bit of a flounce which would be easy to add.
'Is there a life before breakfast'

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 15:56:36 PM »

That the nearest yet for the bodice and even the sleeves work, but it's missing the high neck and collar stand. 

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 17:19:33 PM »
Thank you @Sewcycle and @UttaRetch. I may not need the collar although I have one from a blouse pattern an I could make the neckline come a little closer.

I've found a French pattern I think that looks quite similar to the New Look and also another one that I've jotted down some details of but now can't find them.   :facepalm: Will organise them and post later.

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 18:20:46 PM »
I am surprised that it is proving impossible to find the complete look.  Wyse and The vampire's wife are the looks favoured by the Duchess of Cambridge, but no pattern company is interested in her look, although I can't speak for the 'Indies'.