The Sewing Place

hiya, new to the area

whofilets

hiya, new to the area
« on: April 21, 2021, 13:02:29 PM »
Hi!
My name is Claudia, I've been reading old posts and hoping to contribute too.
I'm originally from the US, lived all over the US with a few stints in other countries. For a while I worked in a big Joann's- a "big box" craft store chain, at a location that was big enough to have its own cutting counter staff. I worked just at the cutting counter/fabric department. There was also a mini Husqvarna/Viking dealer in the store. I learned what I could from my coworkers, who were mostly great quilters. I was a newbie- I had sewn a few things off and on, learned as a kid from my mom and auntie, sewed a bit in college. I didn't have a lot of time to actually sew while I worked at Joann's- it was one of two part-time jobs I was holding, which together barely made a livable wage, AND I was going to school part-time.

But I did have time to buy lots and lots of fabric, especially discounted remnants! I carried all the fabric and remnants and tools with me from state to state and now to a new country. I left the sewing machine behind and am looking for one here. I've been mostly knitting or crocheting these last few years, bc that was more portable, especially on long car rides. I also inherited a cross stitch/embroidery stash from my late MIL.

Now ALL of that stash, years of fabric and yarn, is shoved into my awkward little loft space. It's more space than I have ever had for sewing, but I need to get through some stash if I want to be able to move around at all. I've already found a Project Linus branch to give some of it away. Wish me luck in my stashdown goals!
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

Puzzler

Re: hiya, new to the area
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 13:05:54 PM »
Hi @whofilets and welcome to TSP.  :cake: :drink: Good luck with the stashdown.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 13:25:50 PM »
Welcome to TSP @whofilets

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 14:33:38 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 14:38:15 PM »
Hello there...

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 14:45:38 PM »
A warm welcome from a fellow Suffolk TSPer  We love to see photos once you make inroads to your stash  ;)
Still learning

CraftyIrish

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 14:53:58 PM »
Hello and welcome. Look forward to seeing all you make.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 15:38:35 PM »
Welcome @whofilets.  I saw your query about machinery on PR and am glad you have found your way here.  We know about Joann's, although we don't have it over here, and also the much better and late lamented Hancock's.

I hope you are enjoying living in England and that the culture shock is not too much for you.  By the way, there is an area in Covent Garden called Seven Dials.  These days it's a chi chi little enclave, but used to be known for all sorts of unsavoury goings on.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 15:44:24 PM »
A big welcome from me too!

Look forward to seeing some of your projects!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 15:59:49 PM »
Hi, welcome to the UK, where we spell differently and a fanny pack has a very different meaning. As do pants.....and take-away. I hope you soon get your sewing area set up & use that stash.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 16:22:38 PM »
Welcome to TSP.  Like the others I look forward to seeing your stash dwindle away.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

fajita

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 16:28:38 PM »
Welcome @whofilets  :drink: :flower:

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 17:30:46 PM »
Hello @whofilets hope you enjoy being here!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

charley

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 19:22:09 PM »
Hello, and welcome from me too.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 19:30:58 PM »
Greetings @whofilets from sunny California.  :loveit: This is a great forum, very chatty, full of semiprofessional enablers for all your enabling needs.  :dance:

There's a small group of us from the US and Canada who can help with English to English translation.  :laughing:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.