Tamnymore

Re: hiya, new to the area
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 22:02:12 PM »
Welcome @whofilets
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Surest1tch

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 22:27:23 PM »
Hello and a warm welcome from me too  :)

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 06:59:08 AM »
Welcome too from me,

We have had over years past a Project Linus Sewalong which culminates in a TSP peeps get together and mass handover of quilts on the first day of Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham ... Maybe you would like to join in with that this year ???

Other areas of TSP that might be of primary interest to you are Our Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 09:35:46 AM »
Welcome from me too

whofilets

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 12:36:26 PM »
A warm welcome from a fellow Suffolk TSPer  We love to see photos once you make inroads to your stash  ;)

Thanks! I should take some before and after pictures, for sure. Right now just imagine some piles of mess and carboard boxes taped and re-taped :D
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

whofilets

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2021, 12:44:00 PM »
Welcome @whofilets.  I saw your query about machinery on PR and am glad you have found your way here.  We know about Joann's, although we don't have it over here, and also the much better and late lamented Hancock's.

I hope you are enjoying living in England and that the culture shock is not too much for you.  By the way, there is an area in Covent Garden called Seven Dials.  These days it's a chi chi little enclave, but used to be known for all sorts of unsavoury goings on.

Yes that's where I took the avatar picture back in 2019! I didn't know it was unsavoury- there's always so much history everywhere, just layers and layers of it!

whofilets

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2021, 12:50:49 PM »
Greetings @whofilets from sunny California.  :loveit: This is a great forum, very chatty, full of semiprofessional enablers for all your enabling needs.  :dance:

There's a small group of us from the US and Canada who can help with English to English translation.  :laughing:

Thank you! I just had a job interview today and I told my (English) landlady I worried I was too rambling and chatty and she laughed and said, "well, you're American. It's all right" :laughing: Maybe that's exactly what they're looking for!

Do you think there's any very specifically English sewing things that we don't do, or supplies we can't get, in the US? I guess with the worldwide shipping and internet shopping you can source anything, but I'm just curious. Thinking of what to send back to US sewing friends if I mail a gift.

Lilian

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 14:43:20 PM »
Welcome @whofilets  :drink: :)
Willing but not always able :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 16:06:03 PM »
Do you think there's any very specifically English sewing things that we don't do, or supplies we can't get, in the US?
If anything, it's the other way around.  For instance, we can't buy Kasha lining or even a 'flannel' backed satin fabric over here.

Here is a little history of the not always lovely Seven Dials area.

Kenora

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2021, 19:11:15 PM »
A very warm welcome from me too. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

whofilets

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 20:51:01 PM »
@UttaRetch interesting- the history and the lining!

I have a post box here in which I can get most things shipped, at domestic rates and no customs fees, from the US. So if I'm really hurting for something I can do that, but it's a bit of a toss-up when it will arrive and in what condition it will arrive in. Last week my friend mailed a small parcel of yarn from Michigan and it got here in 8 days and looked pristine. But two weeks ago we got a variety of postcards and letters from January, February, and March, that had all gotten held up together and suddenly came through all at once. :shrug: