The Sewing Place

Calling All EPP-ers!

Acorn

Calling All EPP-ers!
« on: April 22, 2021, 09:48:12 AM »
How do you attach your papers to your fabric?  I have always folded the edges over and stitched through, which is what I understand to be the traditional way, but I keep reading references to doing this in other ways.  Is there a less labour-intensive way that works?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

Re: Calling All EPP-ers!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 09:52:44 AM »
What are you doing @Acorn  ??????  :o

Youre conjuring with forces beyond your ken !!!   :scream:

Its like mentioning the name of The Scottish Play in a theatre !!!! :faints:

May I offer you a bar of carbolic????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 09:59:57 AM »
I've used glue (OK but can come unstuck after a while) or sewing through just the fabric at the corners (OK on small pieces, but not suitable for large pieces).

Of the two, I think I prefer the sewing at the corners as this is unlikely to come undone over time and the papers can be removed without having to unpick the stitches. Compared to sewing through the fabric and paper, it might not save much time at the start, but removing the papers is much quicker.

twopence

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 10:02:48 AM »
I normally fold and tack the edges but have used glue which worked just as well though I don’t know how long it would last. As I usually do this in the evening the glue is a little more awkward as it’s easier on a table.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 10:13:57 AM »
I always use a glue pen the one I use is the sewfine one, I have never had a problem

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »
Thank you - I think I will give the glue pen a try.  Presumably it washes out completely afterwards?

@Iminei I wanted a long term project* that I could do in small sections while watching TV in the evenings.  This is what I'm doing:

*Because one of the drawbacks of quilting is that you end up with an awful lot of quilts...

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
Pritt stick or glue pen for me too
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 13:45:25 PM »
OMG  :scream: ... How far have you got ??????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 13:59:30 PM »
I always use a glue pen - it works well and washes out fine.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 14:15:38 PM »
Thanks @Kenora - I've ordered one. :thumbsup:

@Iminei Well, the kit (pattern, templates and papers) are winging their way to me in the post... I have the fabric, although I can't make the final decision until I have the pattern.  So... 0.01% of the way maybe?   :laughing:

maliw

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 14:40:02 PM »
Go for it, I made a hexi quilt - took me about three years of intermittent stitching but it went to Rhodes and Italy as I could just take bits. It's really good to be able to take about with you (we were delayed in Rhodes and I sewed at the airport).
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 15:02:01 PM »
My hexi quilt took me almost 35 years...  :| ... but it was put away for an awful lot of that, honest!

RJR_38

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 22:04:42 PM »
Glue pen! I can 100% recommend watching Tula Pinks EPP videos on YouTube (there are 3 of them). I learnt so much!

For example, did you know thread has a right way and wrong way to be threaded into the needed direction wise? I had no idea...

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 22:20:13 PM »

For example, did you know thread has a right way and wrong way to be threaded into the needed direction wise? I had no idea...
Yes!  and the needle has a wrong side and a right side.  If you are having trouble threading a needle rotate it 180 degrees.  It should be smoother and therefore easier to thread from the side where the punch went in to make the eye.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 07:25:20 AM »
 :o  I did not know that.  I've got the needle-side thingy now (I will have a good look at some needles later, just to see if I can see anything), but what is the right/wrong way re the thread?