The Sewing Place

My sidetracked bag

realale

My sidetracked bag
« on: April 22, 2021, 12:48:49 PM »
I was in the middle of making myself a shirt when I saw an embroidery design from Urban Threads that I fell in love with, so I bought it and instantly wanted to stitch out.
 But I wanted it to be useful, so decided to make another shopping bag (I find this design very practical as a shopping bag and excellent for adding embroidery). I then rootled through my stash and discovered an offcut of black twill from my son's trousers - just enough to squeeze the bag back, sides and fronts out of (ignoring a few inroads into the seam from previous cutting). A further rootle produced the navy remnants from making my husband's fishing style waistcoat and so a bag was born.
I've made several of these bags and have altered the lining to have a fabric band at the top and to include one zipped pocket and one patch pocket. I also add fleece interfacing, a magnetic closure and lengthen the straps to MY size.
This was no precision sewing - in fact it was more Sewing Bee gung ho let's get it finished slap dash mayhem - But I like it!!
Everything from my stash - apart from the two downloaded embroideries - so no major financial outlay.
Well pleased with it.
Now to get back to my shirt.......
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

Re: My sidetracked bag
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 12:53:45 PM »
Love it!  I think the embroidery really makes your bag stand out.  Love that bag style too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 13:00:53 PM »
Great use of bits and bobs!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 15:58:46 PM »
Love it!   Bags are great for showing off embroidery.