The Sewing Place

Art or Craft Work Table

Gernella

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 13:07:10 PM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

fajita

Re: Art or Craft Work Table
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 13:26:13 PM »
Quite the difference in price.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 16:00:45 PM »
Prefer the cheaper one!   :)

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 16:27:23 PM »
For the first one you need space and for the second money.  I want something I can hawk upstairs on my own, which the Horn Mk 2 fits in with.. 

Mind you I still have to pass first base yet, getting rid of the two sided desk, which I suspect will be a demolition job.  I have had  it nearly 25 years when second love was computers.  DH won't like it, when things come in they don't go out, according to  him.  Things evolve I will say, situation changes and the new one is more flexible to move, which should be attractive.  Push comes to shove it can go early and I'll just use the dining room table for cutting out.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 16:46:01 PM »

Esme866

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 17:06:48 PM »
If you are actually considering doing artwork, both would be back breaking to me - even when I was in my 20's - now at 62 - no way would I do artwork on a flat table.

A drafting table will flip up to any preferred angle for artwork, and can be set level for crafting. Unless you use a light box numerous times a week, I can't imagine having one built into a table - especially a flat table. I always want to use a light box at an angle.

I needed a light box repeatedly while I was in design school. Found a piece of 24" x 20" tempered glass. Sat on the floor propped against my bed with my legs pulled up, a small table lamp between them and did my tracing work. Just found the glass at Mom's recently, process still works, no more often than light box is needed. And where getting up off the floor can be "difficult" these days, the bed makes it easy to get up.

I may eventually build the glass into a box myself- but honestly not sure the time is well spent.

I have used my drafting table for drafting, artwork, crafting, cutting out, dining table in the early apartment years and coffee table at one point. I'll try to find one similar to post later when I have time.

I'll soon be redoing the table (needs it after 40 years) and may use it as a dining table once more, raised to 36" high ,with stools, so that it can be a cutting table as well.

Comes apart and can be stored in the back of a closet or behind a door. Best $59 I ever spent. If anyone still makes them, can't imagine they'd be much over $100-$120. Think I ordered mine from the Sears catalog back in the day.

Off to get my second jab, and then Mom needs lab work done. I'll look then.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 18:05:01 PM »
If you are cutting out you need height, otherwise an aching back  @Esme866  I'm not very tall but even I take my shoes off to get a bit of extra height. I think some members have installed blocks on the legs to increase the height.

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 01:26:30 AM »
@Gernella

My table adjusts from 15"-17" for cocktail table, 24"H for dining at the sofa, 29"-30" for standard dining, 36"H for cutting/countertop and a wide variety of slanted options for drafting and artwork. I'm 5'6" and anything shorter than 36" for cutting kills my back, but I only have to adjust the legs to get different heights for whatever I want to do.

The bad news: I've been all over the net today and apparently NO ONE is manufacturing this style of table at this point in time. I can't find anything even close.

If you haven't already looked at "drafting tables" you might want to. There is a large variety, many with nice pricing.

My table originally came with a 32" x 48" top - white melamine. It needs replacing. All of the supporting hardware will accommodate a 36" x 54" table top, which I intended to make from plywood. Just wish I'd bought the wood before it hit $90/sheet. Probably going to wait a bit longer to see if the price drops back down.

Good luck with your search!

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 10:03:32 AM »
Oh I know exactly what I want @Esme866 it costs nearly £500, I'm just keeping an eye out to see if I see one being sold off cheaper (probably a pipe dream). I'm 5ft 3" so it must be sheer hell for anyone taller.  I've got a Brabantia ironing board and that is fabulous on height, I don't like sitting to do it so on the highest level I just stand up straight and iron.