The Sewing Place

FQ Ironing

William

FQ Ironing
« on: April 24, 2021, 10:47:55 AM »
Hello All!

My nephew and his wife have been blessed with a baby. Of course this means a baby quilt!
The thing is, as i took out the intended fabric to use i needed to iron the fat quarters and eighths.
I seem to remember buying these about 5 years ago (which means probably 10 or more) and
now they have mega-fold lines. I have been ironing and ironing with steam but the fold lines are still there. :headbang:
They have been reduced to being mostly unnoticable, but i wanted to ask if there is a better, of at least more effective way? Hanging whilst showering definitely does not work...

I know we all love to iron and press (yes, thats ironic - no pun intended) but is there a more effective way? At least it made me press out the last 2 dresses i made for dear wife... ;)

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Catllar

Re: FQ Ironing
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 11:13:05 AM »
Try washing the squares and press while wet. Other than that you'll have to cut round them!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 11:28:20 AM »
You could try steam pressing along with spray starch, that has worked for me in the past.
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 13:11:25 PM »
As long as the material is flat enough to cut out and sew accurately you're ok as WHEN you finish your beautiful cot quilt, you will be throwing it in a gentle warm wash with some colour catchers .... Won't you  :devil: !

and all marks will have gone by the time it has been LINE dried and given a gentle press!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 09:33:27 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

RJR_38

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 21:45:44 PM »
Rather than a steam press I find spraying the line with water (saturate if necessary) and then ironing this with a hot iron a) creates clouds of steam and b) gets rid of all fold lines I have come across