The Sewing Place

How big a quilt could I do?

Bill

Re: How big a quilt could I do?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 10:16:03 AM »
Asking a bazillion questions about the size, thickness of wadding and colours had lead to mum throwing in the towel and telling me to surprise her  :laughing:
She's picked orange, green and yellow. I'm using the wadding I already had for Tara's blanket and using an old sheet for the backing. It'll be 60" square as in her words, she's fat and needs the extra coverage  :laughing:
I've decided on 4" blocks?squares (if that's the terminology because my ruler is 4 1/2". It took me forever to work out how much fabric to order because well, I'm thick  :D but it's been ordered now and should be here this week. Searched in vain for an app to help but didn't have much luck. One was partially useful.
We'll see how this goes...
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
@Wayfarer  You are on your way 0_0

A block is several pieces of fabric sewn together to make a square  (occasionally a rectangle).  You then sew the blocks together to make a larger pice of fabric.

If all of your pieces are 4.5" cut (4" sewn) squares they are not really blocks but you may well find it's better to join them together in groups of four or nine, which will be blocks, before putting the whole lot together.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 10:25:23 AM »
Oh dear @Wayfarer  Have you read this Tut

Please Please Please do ... Also as youre going BIG for a first quilt this Tut

All tuts available in the Darkside Tutorial section

Orange green and yellow are interesting choices ... but they work for daisies, so you could make it a Springtime Quilt ... and Please reconsider the 4" finished squares ... You'll be tearing your hair out (If you had any) before you are 1/4 way through ... Bigger is better at least 6" finished ... get a new ruler.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bill

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »
Aha! @BrendaP so I have actually done blocks before. Used them for Tara's blanket  :)

I can see the pictures for the tuts @Iminei but no written instructions, if there are any. I assume there is.
I'm going off what I learnt from a YouTube tutorial for beginners that I followed for Tara's blanket. https://youtu.be/-TyihOEvJ8E
The quilters ruler set I bought consists of a 4 1/2", a 6", a 9 1/2" and a 12 1/2". I can't explain why no 6 1/2".
Hang on, I'm off to fire up the dinosaur (PC) and see if photoshop can be twiddled into a quilt maker of sorts...

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 17:11:42 PM »
If you have a 12 1/2 and a 9 1/2 you can cut 6 1/2

Regards the tuts...

Enlarge the first pic to full screen and then click on the i icon... it will bring up the destructions to the righthand side ..
The i icon will be top right of the screen on your dinosaur.

Bill

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 23:39:32 PM »
Ah yes, using the bigger squares to do 6 1/2". Failure to engage the brain.  :faints:

I've found the destructions. I have to click on the 3 little dots at the top right of the poogle.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I had some success on the dinosaur regarding photoshop and quilting but the mutts and working on my wallet took up vast amounts of time. Maybe tomorrow.

Bill

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 21:55:32 PM »
Someone please shoot me now. I'm regretting taking this project on.
I decided on 60" square using 5.5" squares. Got everything chopped up, blocks sew together, safety pins bought (the shop assistant counted out 100 of them for me, I could sense the daggers in my back from other waiting customers  :laughing:) and everything pinned together. My first 2 lines have gone very pear shaped indeed and I'm near quitting the whole stupid idea and sticking to bags no bigger than 10" wide.
Tell me there's hope for me...please.  :headbang:

Bjay

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 22:21:21 PM »
The pins do hold it together but I think you need to use more pins. I understood they should be about 3.5 ins  apart.

Lovely colours and really bright -
If each square is 5" the approx 2 pins a square - don't think of the squares just thibk of the distances

I'm a novice really but your fabric isn't being held together firmly as  far as I can see

Trying to find my way on the Dark side

BrendaP

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2021, 10:52:51 AM »
I agree ... Those squares look beautifully joined ... nice neat points (and dont worry if you get a few askew, you can always applique a heart over the join ....

Please dont give it up ... Youre on your way.

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2021, 11:19:27 AM »
It's  sometimes recommended that you stabilise the thing first by stitching a line down the centre  and also across i.e. quartering the quilt.  That could be done with basting stitch that you remove afterwards.
Your stitches look quite small, I mostly use 3.00mm. 
It is also recommended to quilt from the centre out so that it squishes excess fabric out to the edges.
If you are planning on stitching the same lines across the quilt you may find it difficult to avoid puckers where the stitching lines cross.  It might be prudent for your first time to quilt without any  lines that cross.
My first quilt ( I haven't done many) I did parallel diagonal lines across the whole quilt starting with one from corner to corner on the diagonal and working out from each side.  I have also done parallel chevrons in each quarter with the points meeting in the middle of the quilt. 
Don't despair, each time you do one you will find it a bit easier and don't forget that when you're stitching you are looking at very close quarters.  Anyone viewing the whole quilt won't be focussing on your little wobbles they will just be impressed by the colours, design and first rate piecing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 11:22:16 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »
Don't give up.It will come out fine
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »
Absolutely spot on Ploshie.

Yes I stabilise before starting the quilting...

Two lines for a small quilt, horizontal and vertical through the middle, 6 lines for a bigger quilt, adding two diagonal lines corner to corner to the previous

A bright thread that is easy to distinguish from the regular quilting ... I generally use a Bright orange Moon thread,

And the biggest stitch length, mine is 5,  to make the stitches easy to remove

When quilting I use a 3.5 SL ... I want these stitches to show and it makes them easier to remove if i *** up!

If Im 'drawing' with the quilting, as in the octopus, shell, fish etc in the Tutorial, I will shorten the SL so I can achieve the curves.

Generally I like Cross hatching the squares ... simple but very effective

Bill

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 23:59:27 PM »
Thanks ladies :)
I'm persisting.
Unfortunately I'm out of pins so these will have to suffice till the next quilt but the various layers so far don't appear to be moving independently too much at the mo. I think it's a bit on the bulky side to start from the middle whilst the pins are still in. I did funnily enough set my stitch length to 3mm. What's happened is that I made the mistake of thinking that my walking foot would be able to pull the weight of the quilt through on its own. Oops  :\
I'll not make that mistake again. I've now set to 3.5mm and I've increased the distance of the stitches from just under 1/4"  from the square edges to 1/2". That way my complete and utter inability to follow a straight line won't be too obvious.
2hrs later and I'm still unpicking the initial stitches which were frankly, fugly.

Ploshkin

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2021, 07:41:23 AM »
@Wayfarer No one tells you that quilting is a bit of a wrestling match requiring considerable upper body strength.
Most instructions tell you to roll up the excess quilt but, in practice, it's better to just shove, stuff, push and pull it through the harp space, stopping and starting the stitching as often as you need to.  It can be a slow job.
Life's too short for ironing.