The Sewing Place

How big a quilt could I do?

Bill

Re: How big a quilt could I do?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2021, 08:02:12 AM »
Thanks for all your replies and I'm glad I'm not alone :)

Last night I finished doing the vertical stitches and was able to remove all the safety pins.
I decided to investigate why my walking foot was slipping so much. 3 things are wrong with it.
1: The teeth seem to have worn down on it. Not sure how to fix that. Maybe some delicate filing.
2: The part with the plastic teeth wasn't pushing through the metal foot evenly and not very far. I've since straightened that and bent its arm a bit to put more pressure on the fabric it's pulling.
3: The teeth on the foot and the teeth on the machines dog feeds don't line up and so I can see it moving slightly to the side when the fabric is clamped between them.
In trying to remedy issue 2 I used my default precision bending tool, the screwdriver. First thing to pop off whilst bending and twisting things was the plastic housing for the foot. No biggie. It pops back on. Second thing to pop off was the actual presser foot that swivels independently from the rest of the foot assembly  :scream:  That took some brute force and prying things apart to get it back in but all is well. It seems a bit looser than before but I'll keep and eye on it. My vice will sort that if it becomes a problem. There's nothing quite like precision engineering  :laughing:
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

BrendaP

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2021, 08:08:40 AM »
@Wayfarer   Is this a Brother walking foot to suit the machine or is it a generic one?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2021, 08:25:26 AM »
Hi Wayfarer ...

Was your Walking foot a new purchase? Secondhand? or came with the machine ???

The white plastic housing does indeed come off, not completely, its anchored by a metal bar/hinge at the back ... but if you depress each side of the white plastic casing you release two lil metal doodads that hold it in place and flip it backwards.

You can then tighten the teensy screw that holds the lower foot plate in place, this can be a closed toe or an open toe plate  (I always use open toe) ... which, if it becomes loose causes the footplate to fall off as you are quilting ... Ask me how I know all this ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bill

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2021, 09:41:34 AM »
@Wayfarer   Is this a Brother walking foot to suit the machine or is it a generic one?

HI Brenda it's this one. The model number FO33 is the same as what brother say is matched to the machine.

Bill

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2021, 09:43:02 AM »
@Iminei  :laughing:

It was new.

Bill

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2021, 09:44:43 AM »
Hi Wayfarer ...

Was your Walking foot a new purchase? Secondhand? or came with the machine ???

... which, if it becomes loose causes the footplate to fall off as you are quilting ... Ask me how I know all this ???

:laughing:

It was new.

Iminei

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
I wouldve sent it back if it was a genuine new Brother WF ...

I suppose you could try that now after your ... errrm ... adjustments ... :rolleyes:

Bill

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2021, 15:51:25 PM »
Ah well, it seems to be working better now.
Whereas my observation skills are still lacking. I've now just discovered the bobbin has run out...  :faints:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2021, 18:52:54 PM »
The Splurgess (my machine) makes a different noise when the bobbin runs out ... one thing to listen out for.

How big are those sqs again ??? 

maliw

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2021, 19:50:44 PM »
For a first attempt that looks really good. Don't forget only you know where the mistakes might be but once it's in use a lot of things disappear into the quilt. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Bill

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »
The Splurgess (my machine) makes a different noise when the bobbin runs out ... one thing to listen out for.

How big are those sqs again ???

I'll have to listen out for that.
After they've been sewn they're 5 1/2" square.
I finished sewing the main part of the quilt last night and rather annoyingly there's a few pucks. To be honest, I really can't be bothered to try and fix them as I'm close to being sick of looking at the wretched thing. I really should've worked my way up to this size of quilt instead of jumping in at the deep end.
Anyhoo, next job is the border which could be fun. The plan is to embroider the names and birthdays of mums grandkids and granddogs on the edges like I did on Tara's blanket... :thinking:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:39:23 PM by Wayfarer »

Bjay

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2021, 12:58:26 PM »
Mt first quilt was single bed sze, the 2nd was double bed size as was the 3rd.
Now I tend to make lap sizes or smaller
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Deafoldbat

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2021, 18:47:29 PM »
  To be honest, I really can't be bothered to try and fix them as I'm close to being sick of looking at the wretched thing.

@Wayfarer That is a common feeling when you've finished a quilt. I don't know what wadding you used, but for future reference, if you use cotton wadding (I can recommend Sew Simple super soft cotton), and don't wash it before hand, when you finish the quilt and wash it, the wadding will shrink a bit and give you the 'antique' look and hide all sorts of things.... How do I know this? ;)

Meanwhile, finish it, wash it, then put it out of sight for a week or two. It will look a lot better then.

Iminei

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2021, 19:45:01 PM »
Absolutely @Deafoldbat @Wayfarer  ...

Quilting can be very, very tedious and you have bitten off a large chunk for your first quilt ...

Put it aside for a while (if youve used anything other than 'normal' Stitch length/width etc ... make a note of them and pin to the quilt) and come back to it when your mind is fresh ... and when its done it will be lovely. I promise!

You've started very well with those lovely points and the colours work well ... it will be worth it and next ... a quilt for your furbaby???

Bill

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2021, 14:24:06 PM »
Absolutely @Deafoldbat @Wayfarer  ...

and next ... a quilt for your furbaby???

The mutt? That would be the Tara mini mutt sized quilt I first did, strangely enough still intact  :)