The Sewing Place

I Wish

Bertha Badger

I Wish
« on: April 26, 2021, 09:26:29 AM »
I wish more online fabric shops could include short videos on how the fabric handles. Minerva Crafts do it and I've never made a mistake in ordering the right type of fabric for any of my projects. (not related to Minerva!).

Second wish for more fabric shops on the south coast of England which stock a good variety of reasonably priced fabrics. I have to rely on an annual trip to Goldhawk Road to get anything decent  :vintage:

b15erk

Re: I Wish
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 10:33:35 AM »
It's hard isn't it @Bertha Badger ?  I bought chambray online, after being on a fabric diet for ages.  When it arrived, it was a pale bright blue!  Awful.

So, I've been put off online fabric shopping for now.  I do think if they offered a video, that may give a better idea of what you are buying.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 12:59:46 PM »
That's one of the reasons I like Clothspot @Bertha Badger  they tell you a story with includes the weight and with some a video.  Minerva's video is too dark they need more lighting  If you are going to do something, do it right.

I was having a root round for more fabric room yesterday, I found some, and when I opened the package, Clothspot had given me written instructions on how to handle the pressing first.

I also found around 2 meters of cotton jersey in a mustard colour.  I would pass on  for free because I didn't like it but the postage costs will be too much.  I did wonder whether a few washes in biological wash might lighten it, they do everything else.

Wrapped in a bag was my old navy, with really nice buttons on, expensive (for me) blazer, which always made me feel really good in until I went to a funeral in it and DH was brushing off some white bits, that wouldn't come off.  Moths  :faints:  I've hung onto it, the fabric is wool and I had visions of using the fabric if I could. That was around 12 years ago.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 13:46:31 PM »
My wish would be for any shop that sold fabric ( not quilting) within a 50 mile radius!
Life's too short for ironing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 15:43:31 PM »
https://www.online-fabrics.co.uk/ will send you a sample if you request it.  They do charge a small amount but it's helpful to see before you buy.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 16:43:56 PM »
My wish would be for any shop that sold fabric ( not quilting) within a 50 mile radius!

So do I but isn't going to happen @Ploshkin I've got used to buying online and it arriving with a couple of days, sometimes the next day, that I would rather do that than hunt  around a shop, probably with DH in tow.  Occasionally you get a disappointment on colour, but not many times.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 17:55:23 PM »

I think most of us wish for that.  :rolleyes:  :fabric:  :fabric:  :fabric:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Diane

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 18:45:42 PM »
I wish more online fabric shops could include short videos on how the fabric handles. Minerva Crafts do it and I've never made a mistake in ordering the right type of fabric for any of my projects. (not related to Minerva!).

Second wish for more fabric shops on the south coast of England which stock a good variety of reasonably priced fabrics. I have to rely on an annual trip to Goldhawk Road to get anything decent  :vintage:
Not sure where abouts in West Sussex you are but i think this is a fairly new shop in Worthing https://moresewing.co.uk/, I haven't been in there yet myself but it seems quite popular.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Esme866

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 07:35:44 AM »
I do quite well ordering woolens and cotton blends for jackets online. But shirting fabrics and cotton/poly blends for trousers are always a crap shoot. Color is usually an issue and quality of weave and hand doesn't show up on camera.

I wish I could afford to drive to Atlanta at least once a year to shop in an actual store. Its 3 hours one way if traffic is cooperative. I feel like an alcoholic that's been involuntarily "on the wagon" for more than a decade when it comes to fabric shopping. Joann's is simply depressing anymore for fabrics.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 12:28:33 PM »
@Esme866 I get it. There are stores I can get to (Joann being the nearest) but none here on Staten Island.  Even the nearest store, about 15 minutes away involved an expensive bridge toll.  So I will go there when I know what I need, but not just to browse.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.