The Sewing Place

Need some advice on making a curtain

BrendaP

Re: Need some advice on making a curtain
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 16:18:34 PM »
1/2" - 3/4" for the side seams, top and bottom hems deep enough to take the widest part of the tension rods easily but no more, and at least twice the width of the opening.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Diane

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 17:38:24 PM »
What about a mini bead curtain
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 18:38:36 PM »
The question has never been,"Should I use a curtain?"  At this point, DH & I have already agreed that a curtain is the best option for us.  We will use top & bottom tension rods & have ordered fabric. We found something we liked, yesterday.

The question on which I seek advice is how to sew a curtain. Advice on things like how big to make the side hems & such would be helpful.

That's us told then.

I'd say it depends on the size of your hole, do what you think looks right to you.

Esme866

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 09:38:39 AM »
If I were to also use a rod on the bottom, I would also have a 1" footer to match the 1" header at the top - again to ease inserting the curtain into the space.

To determine rod pocket size, wrap an edge of the fabric you're using over the rubber tipped end of the tension rod. It should be slightly loose around these tips and then measure the fabric. Divide the amount in half and that is how wide the rod pocket should be. (Probably 1-1/4" to 1-1/2", but that's just a guess) then add an inch.

So turn up a 1/4" edge, then turn a 2-1/2" hem up. Press in place. Then edge stitch at the 1/4" turn up and again 1" from the top and bottom edge. Do all of this after you've turned and stitched both sides.

The reason for the 1" header is so it can be neatly placed against the top of the opening. If you only use a plain rod pocket there will usually be a gap at the top as the fabric hangs lower over the rod itself than it does at the rubber tipped ends.

Sara-S

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 21:38:37 PM »
I have done most of the sewing now.  Given the small space, I only made it 1.5 times the width of the opening.  I put it on the rod to see how it looked & I can see that it was right about the size.  Any bigger and it would look cluttered and would be hard to open.

When we can remove the blinds that are there, I will hang it and then check the length. But so far, so good. Pics when it's done.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 21:41:06 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Sara-S

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 12:08:54 PM »
They’re done & up.  I am pretty happy with the result. The fabric was a good choice for the room. It’s called Fossil Fern, in a color called Mango Cream. I have used this design before, in a few colors.  I even had thread that was a perfect match for it.

The only problem was one hem-the bottom one- that I just couldn’t sew straight.  All the others are fine. I’m not too concerned about it however. As I already said, the thread is a good match so it doesn’t stand out. Also, when the curtain is on the rods and ruffles up, as curtains do, you can’t see it at all.

Here it is;
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:57:07 PM by Sara-S »

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 12:49:12 PM »
Well done @Sara-S - it looks lovely.

Flobear

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 14:12:32 PM »
It's doing the job beautifully. I think one and a half widths on such a small space was a wise decision @Sara-S Double width would have looked uncomfortably squashed imo.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sara-S

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 16:15:00 PM »
Thanks @Flobear    That was my though as well, about the width.   In addition to looking squashed, it would have been hard to open.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 19:26:53 PM »
Nice job @Sara-S . But, but, but, I'm nosey. What is that safety pinned in the upper left corner?  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sara-S

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 22:57:17 PM »
It’s a little jingley bell that scares away the staircase creature who lives in my husband’s imagination.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 23:30:08 PM »
It’s a little jingley bell that scares away the staircase creature who lives in my husband’s imagination.

:thumbsup:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sara-S

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 13:28:56 PM »
@Renegade Sewist I was wondering if/when someone would ask about that.

fajita

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 13:59:15 PM »
I did notice it, but decided it was a chain for a curtain tie-back - which doesn’t really make sense as the curtain is tethered top and bottom ...

Kenora

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 17:59:08 PM »
@Renegade Sewist I was wondering if/when someone would ask about that.

We were all being British and much too polite.  :laughing:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath