The Sewing Place

Japanese sewing book help?

Sewcycle

Japanese sewing book help?
« on: April 26, 2021, 15:07:54 PM »
Hi, I’m sorry I seem to be constantly asking for help at the moment :S My friend is kindly getting me a belated birthday present and wants to buy a book for me. I’ve been looking at the Basic Black book by Sato Watanabe, but now I’ve come across the Sew Chic book by Yoshiko Tsukioro too. Which one to ask for? :scream: They both look great though I’m thinking that the Basic Black is more low key. I do like the slightly off the wall trousers pattern in the Sew Chic book too. I’d like a successful entry into Japanese sewing books as I don’t want to be put off. I’m also a little concerned on sizing as I would be a large ( though short too at 5’2”) in the sizing I can see. I’ve been sewing a long time though so can size up the bust successfully. Is either suitable for a 60+ year old woman with eclectic fashion tastes? Or should I just get a gardening book instead! Any help gratefully received  :thumbsup:
'Is there a life before breakfast'

Efemera

Re: Japanese sewing book help?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 15:58:49 PM »
I like the look of the Basic Black book....I like the Japanese look and it can be worn at any age.

Sewcycle

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 18:50:33 PM »
I like the look of the Basic Black book....I like the Japanese look and it can be worn at any age.
Thanks @Efemera - that’s very helpful. I think perhaps the Basic Black one is a bit more my style. Of course, it needn’t be black either....and if I like the Japanese basics I can always buy the other one  ;) - I love Japanese everything!  :loveit:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 21:06:17 PM »
I've had them both home from the library. Both are great if you like the modern vibe. You are not too old! Basic Black is dress heavy. I don't wear dresses but was tempted by a couple of them. Sew Chic is more funky, separates oriented.

Both are great jumping off points. Which has garments you like which work with your current wardrobe? Maybe start there while you build a nice grouping of Japanese designed pieces.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewcycle

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 07:19:58 AM »
I've had them both home from the library. Both are great if you like the modern vibe. You are not too old! Basic Black is dress heavy. I don't wear dresses but was tempted by a couple of them. Sew Chic is more funky, separates oriented.

Both are great jumping off points. Which has garments you like which work with your current wardrobe? Maybe start there while you build a nice grouping of Japanese designed pieces.

Thanks @Renegade Sewist - that’s a good plan. I think my problem is that I think I’m more dress orientated, but actually like everyone else, it’s separates mainly for me. Perhaps I could change my style? It’s probably about time. I think I’ll look and see if there are 3 patterns from each that I will definitely make and wear. That should help me make a choice. I have a terrible affinity for collecting and I’m trying to slow it down. :o

Wish my library had Japanese sewing books, although I have had two of the Drape Drape books from there and the Alabama Chanin which was lovely and I bought ( though only made up one!)

Sewcycle

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 20:32:57 PM »
In case anyone is interested in Japanese sewing books, I’ve just spotted one called Simply Chic whic looks great and quite practical but isn’t, of course, available in the UK.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 17:15:36 PM »
I have some Japanese sewing books for sale ... They have lots of diagrams and measurements which is good as they are in Japanese!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewcycle

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 08:41:55 AM »
I have some Japanese sewing books for sale ... They have lots of diagrams and measurements which is good as they are in Japanese!

Where are these listed @Iminei? Have you made anything out of them, and if so did you manage to transcend the language barrier? I was reading that Japanese sewing is done in a different way to ours though the patterns look fairly simple.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 09:02:33 AM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JFQcF5h3UaXaR1eA7 ...

and yes they are expensive ... look at the online prices ..  and they are also very heavy, so will be small parcel + weight cost to post.

No Ive not made anything from them but the diagrams/pictograms are very good and the numbers are in English!

Sewcycle

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 06:47:41 AM »
Thanks @Iminei for posting the link. Strangely I’ve already got the two Japanese magazines about bags....and I’ve not used them either! I’ve also got quite a few of the quilting books you list. We obviously have similar tastes. ( if the magazines I’ve got are not the same, they are very similar - I’d almost forgotten about them. I should haul them out).

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 07:01:09 AM »
Not magazines, big hefty paperback books.