The Sewing Place

Online magazines - free!

dolcevita

Online magazines - free!
« on: April 27, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »
This is for UK members and apologies if I've posted about it before. If you are a member of your public library (you can join online) you can put an app on your phone/tablet/PC and access a huge amount of digital magazines (and newspapers from all over the world) for free. There is no return date on them, either, so you can keep hold of them for as long as you like. There is a craft section with 188 different magazines, many of them appear to be Australian, with an extensive choice for knitting and crochet, as well as embroidery. AND QUILTING - FREE QUILTING MAGAZINES @Iminei

You will need your library card number and then an app called Libby. Libby will allow you to browse and search for whatever you want. Check it out, it's well worth a look and there are many other subjects, too.

Acorn

Re: Online magazines - free!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 12:25:55 PM »
The app seems not to be available for PCs, which is annoying!  I shall go and charge up my tablet.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 12:27:54 PM »
However, you can use it in your browser - just about to try it out.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 13:51:15 PM »
I entered via the browser and was not asked for a library card.

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 13:55:50 PM »
I entered via the browser and was not asked for a library card.

Even better! I only had to enter my details once, so it's not onerous even if you do need to.

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 14:41:10 PM »
Cool! Yet another rabbit hole for me. Thank you.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 14:49:52 PM »
Thanks @dolcevita.  Used to use Libby some years ago or books and audiobooks  till our library went over to BorrowBox which isn’t as good. 

Celia

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 15:57:33 PM »
Thank you have just applied to local library

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 18:47:04 PM »
@dolcevita Libby is international. My library has it too. One thing is each library system chooses how much to make available from the full collection.

Check out the other online resources available at your library. Most have expanded them due to the pandemic. It's very much an underutilized resource.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

dolcevita

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 18:56:29 PM »
@dolcevita Libby is international. My library has it too. One thing is each library system chooses how much to make available from the full collection.

Check out the other online resources available at your library. Most have expanded them due to the pandemic. It's very much an underutilized resource.

Thanks, yes I've used the online library resources for some years now as the range available is incredible. Language learning, classical music as well as print publications. I recently showed my OH how to access his favourite trashy newspapers on a tablet, which he now regards as his!
It's astonishing just how much content there is, it's just a case of having enough time for it all!

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 23:37:59 PM »
I've just tried it - using Mac Laptop and Firefox and it allowed me in.  I have Simply Sewing magazine on loan for 14 days.

I have  Medway Library card with a pin number which I have used occasionally to access AncestryLibrary from home during lockdown.  I'm really pleased that I got the pin-number updated not long before the first lockdown started as I don't often use the library card; most times when I was using AncestryLibrary at the archives it during my volunteer sessions and so was with their log-in rather than my own.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 08:12:17 AM »
Well I was going great guns... even found my library card (not used since ????) but then it wanted a PIN ...!!
Pin?
Pin??  :angry:
PIN??? I dont have a pin for my bleeding library card! 

Throws card across the room and Stomps out  :rant:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewingj

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 08:30:02 AM »
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 13:52:50 PM by sewingj »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »
@Iminei give your library a ring and see if they’ll give you one over the phone. 

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 10:16:16 AM »
Here in Medway the archives and the libraries are all part of the same system.  I've had a library card forever though haven't used it much for borrowing books in the last ten or so years.  The same card is needed to access the computers (archives or library) and it was the archives which issued a PIN to me.  As I said before I've only used the archive's computers for my own use occasionally and the last time I tried the PIN had expired so they had to re-activate it again.  That was only a few months before the lockdowns started so it was still working when we were told that AncestryLibrary could be accessed from home if you had a PIN with your card.  I do know of a couple of people who didn't have a valid PIN  and couldn't access it, but I don't know if they managed to get one remotely.   For those who are interested AncestryLibrary had worldwide records; my personal Ancestry.co.uk account only allows me to view UK records.

As for libbyapp.com  it's great that it's free but as always with ebooks and emagazines they are fine for the things you just read once and that's it but for anything with instructions or patterns I much prefer a paper version.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:34:58 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.