The Sewing Place

Online magazines - free!

twopence

Re: Online magazines - free!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 14:04:46 PM »
Just had to visit my library to see why I couldn’t log in. Apparently our library has emailed members to let them know that their password requires changing from for numbers to six. I hadn’t had that email and neither has the librarian who was serving me. We changed it to a six digit one and now I’m in so I’ll explore later.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 06:52:31 AM »
@BrendaP I was glad for this thread yesterday. It had me double checking what is currently available online and I was reminded about the AncestryLibrary. Need to take a look while it's still available online. In library it's only available at the main library downtown Fresno in what is now a very sketchy area. To think I would go there alone or with mom at night as a teenager.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 08:16:44 AM »
Turns out I need a PIN, so will be dropping into the library when I go to the town centre today.

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 15:20:35 PM »
I went to my library ... They've gone into Covid Overload and I eventually manged to ascertain without going in that Ive fallen off their system and have to reapply for a new card, which I assume will come with the necessary pin.

She said I could apply on-line or have a paper form to complete and as I was actually THERE I filled it out on the bonnet of my car and went to hand it in ...

BIG Mistake ... HUGE!

Could I hand the form back to her ... Nope ...You now have to post  any returned books and my disease ridden application form through a letterbox and after 72 hours they will deign to start processing it/them  :rant:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 15:22:36 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 15:44:50 PM »
I don't know why, but my town centre library is CLOSED.  Just as well I didn't make a special trip.  However, my library card is who knows how old and I might need a new one and not just a pin.  I'll send an email.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 20:21:06 PM »
@Iminei , shred the form and fill out the online version. There, taken care of.  :thumbsup:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

realale

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 14:01:56 PM »
I had several books out of the library when we went into first lockdown & was concerned about fines so checked on line each month. They were automatically renewed so forgot about it. A few days after they reopened in October I returned my books to the bin outside & again thought nothing of it. The next time I went online they had me down for a £28 fine & had blocked my account!!!
I sent an extremely scathing email & basically told them what they could do with their fine & have only been online once since. My card is now unblocked but the fine remains. Haven't tried any of their services since  :devil:
So many beers, so little time.

whofilets

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 14:31:36 PM »
I like that I can still access my "old" library (which I used before I moved here) and my new local suffolk library. different collections in each. I've been catching up on old Piecework magazines. I also found a craft magazine from South Africa!

for magazines and patterns I mostly read on my phone but if I needed to actually knit from one, my phone would be too small to peer at, so I'd have to go to desktop, and probably screen shot and print it from there? My project queue is already long enough that I haven't added to it through Libby!

I also like that you can change the skin color of the little Libby girl logo. That just warms my heart.
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 14:49:12 PM »
With Amazon Prime magazines on my tablet I take screenshots and I can then print the instructions etc out directly, or send them to my laptop and save them there so that I can read a larger version.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 10:09:49 AM »
Thank you I now have my new library card plus pin, all done on the internet and have downloaded Libby app and have just finished reading this weeks radio times.

UttaRetch

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 18:07:32 PM »
... have just finished reading this weeks radio times.
That's where I want to make a saving.   :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 12:18:50 PM »
I had to get a new card since it's been over two years since I used the library.  I have a temporary PIN that allows me access to digital content and will get a physical card when the branch re-opens.

Celia

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 12:06:57 PM »
Thank you @dolcevita i now have this up and running and have just browsed the craft magazines, it’s amazing everything I love is available, just wondering when I am going to have time to read them all.

William

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 11:46:20 AM »
As i have been living in Germany for 26 years I have not been to the local library in my home town USA. This summer when vacationing and visiting my parents,i was asked to pick up a book my father had ordered at the local library.

Shocked!!!  :faints: The number of books are few, computers are there and there is no card catalog!!! The library seems so uninviting - i remember the happy hours looking up entries in the card catalog or just perusing books with subjects i have not been introduced to.

Absolutely no debth of thought - depressing.
If i wanted to lend a movie.. good. If i wanted a book on physics, Shakespear order only. The library was a place for thought, research and discovery. Now i see almost no purpose.

Very sad indeed!

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »
Such a shame @William.  Our libraries have had to change with the times.  I have nothing against that.  They still have books!   I spent a lot of time in libraries when I was younger.