The Sewing Place

Online magazines - free!

annieeg

Re: Online magazines - free!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2021, 15:06:06 PM »
Our local Library was a source of solace to me when I was growing up....(in the 1960's)

Tamnymore

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2021, 17:19:35 PM »
Yes card catalogues are a thing of the past - redundant because it's all on-line. @annieeg  like you I found great solace in the local library as a youngster -  I confess that some of it might have been because I was allowed to get a bar of Duncan's whole nut chocolate from a machine outside a shop on the way home. Can't remember if this was for every weekly visit but in any case libraries= chocolate!  :P
When I was doing my PhD DH said I came home smelling of old books. I love the smell of old books almost as much as chocolate.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:02:08 AM by Iminei »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sheilago

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 20:43:18 PM »
Thanks @dolcevita . I haven’t been in my library for years, so I registered online ( very easy @Iminei ) and have had a look at audio books, which I love to listen to when sewing. I had to scrabble around to find free ones on Audible, but this looks like a great service. You can also read all sorts of newspapers free.  :D

Lachica

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2021, 22:21:41 PM »
Me too @annieeg @Tamnymore . The librarian had a word with my dad. - she didn't think Asimov was suitable for a 10 year old. Dad was highly amused and suggested she encourage me!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2021, 07:08:16 AM »
I went to our small library a couple of weeks ago to look for a book on gemstones. ... I didnt actually enter the stacks the librarian was very helpful and looked on her computer to discover that they had nothing but another library did so she ordered it and two days later I was told it was ready for me to collect.

I have 'libby' on my laptop (the old Heath Robinson one) but havent worked out how to use it ... maybe I should open it up first?

Can you put the books you borrow onto your kindle?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2021, 11:42:57 AM »
@Iminei  There is a convoluted process to go through before you can access Libby on Kindle.  It is possible and may be something to ask the nice person that is going to set up the new tablet for you ;)
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

annieeg

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2021, 13:22:50 PM »
@Sheilago Youtube have quite a few free audiobooks.