The Sewing Place

My first sewn clothes for 18" dolls

Marniesews

My first sewn clothes for 18" dolls
« on: April 27, 2021, 14:05:57 PM »
I had intended to draft the patterns for dolls clothes - has to be easier, doesn't it? Well, yes in principle but I don't have the scale of ease so was rather disappointed with the results. Adjusting by 2 or 3mm increments was just too frustrating at this stage. I wanted to get something made!

There's a good variety of free download patterns so I thought I'd give those a go to start me off. I thought I could fit them to my sample doll, make the alterations and use them as a block from which to cut a variety of styles. This was my first, made from an old T-shirt but the original neckband rib wasn't stretchy enough so the neckline was rather puckered and it was generally oversized for this doll.

I'd joined an fb group for 18" dolls clothes making and couldn't resist getting the odd pattern to start me off after seeing the astonishing variety of styles out there...but then there was no going back! The fine blue stripe trousers above were from Simplicity 8576 view E . The dark wine ones below were the first I made from that pattern.

Easy to sew, including the basic fly. The pattern had a fully elasticated waist which seemed odd with a fly opening so I changed it to just elastic in the back waist and much prefer the smooth front look. Should have given them another press before taking the photograph!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 14:11:02 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Puzzler

Re: My first sewn clothes for 18" dolls
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 14:37:41 PM »
Looks like you had some fun. The first outfit is perfect lockdown attire. No need for any major fitting.  ;)

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 14:39:39 PM »
A friend recommended Simplicity 1513 which had a mix of separates for both knit and wovens.

I'd bought a pack of M&S knickers a year or two ago in the wrong size and it occurred to me I could use them for the doll. Fortunately the size was way too big for me so even more fabric in them. This basic T-shirt is in groups of garments marked as views A, D and F so I found it rather confusing separating out the correct pieces initially. Why they didn't give it a separate reference I've no idea!

I used one of my vintage Berninas but it's an early computerised model 1130 with no presser foot adjustment control and opening it up to adjust the presser inside as you can with earlier mechanical models isn't a great idea. I normally use a walking foot for knits (mostly spandex) but it's way to big and obscuring for tiny clothes. I tried the teflon foot which was an improvement but not as good as the walking foot.  I managed.

First attempt.

The overall look was good (from the front) but the back armscye was stretched out in the process of turning under and stitching. Mental note to sew a stay stitch a hair away from the fold line next time and turn under with a delicate touch.

This crop top was view E and the cropped pants view D. Two of the knickers were in opposite colourways so I thought they'd work well with this. The little girl I'm sewing for has two of these dolls so I thought she might like dressing them alike but not exactly the same in this set. I could only fit the cropped version of the pants in the knicker fabric but I'm really glad as I think it's an ideal length for the activewear look. I did the stay stitch around the arms and went gently - that worked much better.

The first attempt resulted in a hardly there midriff gap and the pants did seem too deep in the rise. I made both sets together so the quick fix was to take in the joining seam of pants yoke and bottoms another 6mm. In the end I think the shallower depth of the contrast yoke actually looked more balanced with the crop top and there isn't a plain version in the pattern so I'll stick with that if/when I do another.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 15:01:38 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 14:50:13 PM »
FB groups are dangerous! More pattern buying - I really like the costumes. Great to stimulate role play I'm thinking.

This is from Simplicity8315 view A. I'm very pleased with the overall look. The jacket and hat are made from one of DGD's outgrown school shirts. He's shot up above 6'1" over the last 2 years (currently 14) so has gone through a few sizes, lucky for me. The trousers are in a polyester blend fabric with wool feel. Dolly doesn't mind synthetics and hand-me down repurposed.  :thumbsup:

The hat is a tight fit - I'll need to make another slightly looser one for the child to be able to put it on the doll more easily. Buttons (over tiny metal press studs) are definitely overscale (nicest ones in the old button tin) but I'm happy enough with that and the recipient won't mind one little bit.

This all sounds rather picky to even consider for a doll perhaps but the group members go to huge lengths to get the right scale in everything from prints to buttons, buckles etc.

That's it for now, thought it was time I had a go with a pretty dress.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 14:51:40 PM »
All your outfits look really great.  Great idea to recycle underwear. Its a good weight for dolls and you have colour coordinated fabrics :loveit:
Have a look at pixiefaire.com for patterns - she has a wide range of designers and there are several freebie patterns available on the site.  If you sign up for the newletter you can also get a free pattern every Friday.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 15:00:01 PM »
Ah yes, the FB group sent me off in the direction of Pixie Faire. I've downloaded all the free patterns that caught my eye and check out the Freebie Friday one each week. Doesn't seem to have stopped me buying too though! I couldn't resist getting more downloadables in the recent US $2.99 sale and then the sewdirect one popped up!  :|

I've sworn I won't buy any more for some time (unless it's an irresistible costume) as I have a good selection of adaptable patterns now with different sleeves and waist heights, skirt profiles, princess seams and lots of separates. The last ones were underwear and nightwear.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 15:09:09 PM by Marniesews »
  • Ann likes this

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 18:59:00 PM »
I forgot that Pixie Faire had reinstated Freebie Friday!

There are two distinct camps in 18" doll clothes. Adult collectors/makers who want to be as accurate as possible and clothes for little hands to be able to dress their dollies. That's why Simplicity and such use hook and loop tape and a looser fit. Much of Pixie Faire is geared for adult use.

Looks like you've been having a lot of fun.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ann

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 13:36:47 PM »
@Marniesews, you are addicted to this new hobby. I was going to suggest Pixie Faire for free patterns as I have used them. I also have a lot of patterns from Freebie Friday. The outfits you made are wonderful and look great on your doll. If you really want to get into things, Pixie Faire offers courses. I am thinking of doing Sewing With Cinnamon and have done both the Design and Pattern Making courses. I'm in the midst of the Courture Sewing course.

As @Renegade Sewist said, there are two camps for doll clothes. You have the collectors who want to be as accurate as possible and then there are those who sew the clothes for little hands. I am between the two as I use many different patterns and will tweak the fit to my satisfaction. I don't use hook and loop as it is hard on the doll's hair. I use snaps and buttons. The 6 year old who gets the majority of the clothes I make has no problems with closing the outfits I've made. I keep the outfits that I want (historical and items I really like) as she won't appreciate some of them. She is too young. But she loves the outfits that are fun and modern. And I don't mind making them for her.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 17:51:40 PM »
@Marniesews  If you are sewing for a OG doll from the Pixie Faire patterns,  don't forget she will have a 1" bigger waist than the AG they design for.  They also have wider shoulders than the OG dolls but that is less drastic than too small! 
Also, I hope you do not do what I do, and keep forgetting to get the printout  set at 100%, or you can waste a lot of paper.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 19:35:36 PM »
@toileandtrouble I've clearly had beginner's luck with McCalls & Simplicity. They've been a bit close sometimes but I've been able to just use a narrower velcro strip. It's lulled me into a false sense of security however and I think I'm going to have to do test dresses more often with the indie patterns of which I've already amassed quite a few.

This image with measurements of a variety of dolls certainly demonstrates the differences well. Of course there are many other 18" dolls not included.

I recently got a used Madame Alexander doll and she's a fair bit skinnier than the Our Generation. Great buy, sold with an OG doll and loads of outfits inc roller skates for £15 and delivered for free! She'd been described as 'an Our Generation copy doll' so it was quite a surprise and she's in lovely condition.

This dress came with her - I haven't made any clothes specifically for her yet. Some of the ones I've made for Our Generation dolls are too big to use as waistbands slide down etc.