The Sewing Place

Jacquard/Brocade suggestions Men's Jacket??

weary

Jacquard/Brocade suggestions Men's Jacket??
« on: April 28, 2021, 15:51:02 PM »
I have been looking-around for a Jacquard or Brocade fabric with a large pattern for a steampunk men's jacket for a while without success - but perhaps one of you has seen something that might suit, can point me in the direction of appropriate suppliers, or maybe even suggest suitable alternative fabrics/designs.  I must admit to a clear lack of imagination on this!

Specification:
The material is for a long men's steampunk/roleplay jacket so I would ideally like to avoid 'florals' or obvious 'feminine' designs.
Colour: I would like to avoid black if possible.  However following my abortive searches I am currently sort-of resigned to 'falling-back' to a predominantly black material.  I have not closed my mind to any colours but deep blues or reds would probably be most appropriate, but, I am open to ideas.  I doubt that too light a colour would suit.

Of course I have spotted something great in Joel & Sons (Jacquard tartan) and some 'liturgical brocade' - but the prices!!!!  I saw this in Uttaretch's 'McCall's patterns' thread  - but have been unable to find a similar fabric.

Oh! I'm in London (UK), but quite happy to purchase on-line.

Regards, Phil.

Efemera

Re: Jacquard/Brocade suggestions Men's Jacket??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 16:30:49 PM »
Charity shop curtains....

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 20:50:23 PM »
On this side of the pond, clothing fabric stores are scarce but home dec fabric stores are rather plentiful. (I have 5 within a reasonable distance).

What you are describing is more likely to be found in home dec fabrics. Have you tried any of these? I've made jackets and trousers from home dec. You can often find 100%linen, %100 silk, and on rare occasions wool.

I'd look for a predominantly cotton fabric with some polyester. A bit of nylon (less than 20%) would probably do also.  Just do not purchase any fabrics that are coated on the backside for stability - it won't work for clothing. Don't buy it no matter how tempting - it will not sew or wear properly for a garment and its manufactured to not come off. Also 100% polyester may also be fine - that just depends on how much you understand about the twist of yarns and the overall hand of the material for your intended purposes.

A 50/50 blend of cotton/poly can be ideal. The cotton is for comfort and the poly is for colorfastness and in the case a a jacquard or brocade adds the bit of sheen.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 23:11:35 PM »
Yes, look for furnishing fabric - and search for brocade or damask or even brocatelle.  They are forms of Jaquard woven fabric and the names are often interchanged.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 18:22:24 PM »
Have you tried Bombay Stores? Brocades
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 20:14:13 PM »
I like Bombay Stores too
Triumph of hope over experience :D

weary

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 19:45:35 PM »
Thank you for that recommendation @sewmuchmore .   A new supplier to me, and some great fabrics at good prices!

Phil

maliw

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 19:55:52 PM »
Ooooh Bombay Stores, I've been there a few times many years ago, talk about a kid in a sweet shop. I got some lovely shoes there and they were really cheap - prices have increased a lot since then. Fabric for DD bridesmaid dresses and all the mens waistcoats came from there. Hope they have what you want/need.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula