The Sewing Place

Sewing Knit and Woven Together

Acorn

Sewing Knit and Woven Together
« on: April 29, 2021, 19:51:50 PM »
I want to make a dress with a knit bodice and sleeves and a woven skirt.  I'm going to use a knit pattern - probably 'Be Graceful' by Ellie and Mac, which I've made before.  Is there anything I should do when attaching the skirt to make the two fabrics play nicely together?  I can imagine the woven forcing the knit to stretch a bit.

This is the pattern (but not as long):

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Sewing Knit and Woven Together
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 20:56:05 PM »
This might be useful
https://www.patternsforpirates.com/woven-skirt-knit-bodice/

I think it depends on the weight and type of fabrics used.  A heavier weight woven could drag the bodice down.  You might have to adjust the position of the seam.  I’d also test to see which needle will work best. 

mudcat

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 20:58:31 PM »
When attaching the skirt I would put the woven on top and the knit on the bottom so it's against the feed dogs.  That should take care of any potential misbehavior.  I've done this type of sewing and don't recall any particular problem.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 21:15:16 PM »
Thank you both - @Ohsewsimple that article is very useful.  I think that the fabric I have in mind is lighter weight than quilting cotton, but it is buried in my stash and I will check it out.

@mudcat - thank you.  I would automatically have put the bodice on top, so that is very helpful!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 08:21:31 AM »
Cashmerette's first pattern was the Knit and woven Washington dress and there is a sewalong, too.  I still like the pattern and someday ...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 09:59:57 AM »
Wonder tape.  0_0

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 14:41:10 PM »
I think that unless the knit is very elastic with a very good recovery, I would stabilise the waist seam with elastic.