The Sewing Place

Charity shop bargain.

BrendaP

Re: Charity shop bargain.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »
My hexi quilt which took more than 30 years to complete was dated by some of the papers inside - references to the local maternity hospital!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bjay

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 18:49:32 PM »
What a brilliant find - never see anything like that locally. I am sure it's maker will know- some how -it has found a really good home
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

charley

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 21:10:09 PM »
I have just completed quilting this quilt. I am happy with the outcome and very glad that it is done - apart from the binding. Three days quilting equals very achy shoulders. I was not sure how to quilt it, in the end, I just did a simple grid, I may have gone a little wobbly in one or two places, but the quilt is for my bed, so no worries.
I found a 'throw' in the same charity shop, all cotton, large enough with a nicely washed out look, and it is an Indian block print pattern. There are 2 little holes in it, but I will place a spare hexi over those when I inspect it more closely after binding.
After quilting it measures 72" x 90"
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 21:23:51 PM »
That is lovely.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 21:27:45 PM »
I think the quilting looks very fitting.

realale

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 22:15:20 PM »
that looks lovely and I think the backing is an excellent choice. Well done for finishing it off.
So many beers, so little time.

Silver Rose

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 04:52:50 AM »
Well done for finishing it so beautifully and bringing it back to life, super job  :flower:
Still learning

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 05:52:48 AM »
Oh Bravo @charley ... that is truly wonderful in so many ways !!!

You've given life to something someone obviously loved but couldnt for whatever reason finish ....

You've used another lost and lonely item for the backing ....

and if you hadn't said anything about either of these I, for one, wouldn't have known they were two different projects from two different sources

and you have made them into one beautiful loved quilt which is all yours!

Why dont the charities where I live throw up such beauties ??????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

charley

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 22:33:06 PM »
Thank you all so much for the lovely compliments.

Lilian

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 22:57:24 PM »
Well done @charley that looks gorgeous, I would love that on my bed  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Marniesews

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 00:04:25 AM »
I think it looks great @charley - the backing is a lovely subtle contrast, very fitting. I don't find the story sad though, the ending is far too happy for that. In fact I can't help think of all the envious part-finished baby's block PP quilts there must be out there in need of someone to finish them.

You know I've always fancied having a bit of a go...but definitely only a bit of a go, perhaps a row or two at most. ;)  Don't you think these things might be better offered as a team sport from the start?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.