« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2021, 05:50:39 AM »
Lovely model @Puzzler  ... Very classy!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Helen M

Re: Fun with Foliage - 1st to 31st May
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2021, 15:34:01 PM »
Helen M’s entry

A dress for myself

Montana midi dress by Style Arc. Fabric is viscose with a dark navy background that has been in my stash at least 2 years. I only had 1.5 metres and it frayed like mad!

A pull on dress with gathers to skirt from a high waist. I omitted the pockets and chose the single ply bodice option due to fabric shortage. There is a neck facing pattern piece but I didn’t like the way it sat so I made my own bias binding from scraps of fabric, miraculously I didn’t need to join it! 

The bodice was very wide where skirt joins, and even after taking in from armhole down I felt it to be a bit loose so I attached 6mm elastic to the inside. It is not tight even with the elastic but a nice shape IMHO.

Other alterations were my usual square shoulder adjustment and I shortened the skirt length by 2 inches.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Will try to get a photo of me wearing it......
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 16:00:31 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

dolcevita

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2021, 17:08:07 PM »
Meh, I failed miserably to meet the deadline. Hated the chai dress pattern, found out that my other patterns were incomplete and then spent the weekend and BH entertaining visitors! No need to worry, though, lots of lovely entries to vote for! :D

toileandtrouble

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2021, 22:42:38 PM »
Toileandtrouble's Entry

A button up shirt for my Our Generation doll, April.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The pattern is a download from Liberty Jane at Pixie Faire.  The picture shows the front with a yoke, but in the end I decided on the full front and just a back yoke.  The cotton I chose because of the scale of the design.  I have included my little quilting roller.  It makes a good crease on a single layer of cotton, which saved my going up and down a floor to use the iron.
First problem I met was the fitting. The pattern is design for American Girl dolls, with a narrower waist than the OG doll. They also have a slightly wider shoulder but that didn't matter as much.  Had to cut out my main pieces again, tapering them out 1/4" at the waist, to add 1" in total.
The seam allowances are 1/4" so the little cuff pieces disappeared under the machine foot.  Very fiddly and next time I will make the allowances wider so as to have something to hold on to, then trim them back.
This is the result, showing the two pieces collar and opening cuffs.
I briefly toyed with the idea of sewing real tiny buttonholes but decided against it.  There are transparent plastic press studs sewn behind each of the 4mm buttons.  The green is not the right one, but you don't get much choice of colour in 4mm buttons and white just seemed too dull.
The finished shirt:
Now she has a skirt, she can model the finished shirt.

The skirt was made from the offcuts from shortening a pair of trousers.  The material look heavier on a doll.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 21:45:54 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Puzzler

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 06:50:21 AM »
That is so cute @toileandtrouble. At least with doll clothes you never have to worry about stuff like FBAs.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2021, 10:05:34 AM »
@Puzzler She doesn't need an FBA but I was misled by the size of the front and back pieces!  The fronts didn't cover the back completely, never mind overlap.  However, it is a perfect fit on April - she has no skirt yet or she could model it.  Dolls have a much wider back, must be because they are usually lying down and the arms face forwards.  Must remember that if I make my own pattern.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2021, 05:49:22 AM »
Is this going to a Vote ??? @SewRuthieSews  ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2021, 08:36:02 AM »
@Iminei yes it is, I was away for the weekend, but back now and will organise today.
Apologies for the delay folks.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »
Hello folks the Fun with Foliage voting is now open. I'm feeling generous and you all get 3 votes, use them wisely!

Voting for 'Fun with Foliage'

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2021, 13:34:48 PM »
And the winner is @cakeymcdoodle - Congratulations!

Please let me or @Iminei know if you would prefer a winners badge or a sew on patch.