The Sewing Place

Fun with Foliage - 1st to 31st May

SewRuthieSews

Fun with Foliage - 1st to 31st May
« on: May 01, 2021, 09:08:32 AM »
Fun with Foliage May 1-31 2021

Rules: Sew absolutely anything at all as long as the fabric includes foliage (ie leaves) in the print.
This can be a floral which also has leaves, but can also be a print just of leaves (my absolute favourite!)

Timeframe: Construction starts on 1st May and the item must be completed by 31st May.
All entries need to be uploaded with the template and at least one photo by 6th June.

Template: Please submit your entries in this thread using this template

Details to include:
Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering have more than once )
What is it and for whom
A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos
PLEASE INSERT PICTURES WITHIN YOUR TEXT!

Please post your entries on the thread by 6th June

realale

Re: Fun with Foliage - 1st to 31st May
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »
In all of my stash - which is extensive!! - I can't call to mind any foliage fabric  :headbang:
I will have a good old rootle but if not ....Ahh, lightbulb moment, I think I have just recalled some. Watch this space for searching success.
So many beers, so little time.

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 12:15:26 PM »
Will have to have a root through and see what fabric I have.  :thinking:
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 16:43:28 PM »
I know I have nothing like this. I reckon you have to be careful with prints past certain age - they can be ageing but did see something somewhere - now where was it and did I keep the page.........
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 18:59:10 PM »
 :D That bistro table cloth and napkins I cut out of a grape leaves and grapes print might get it's day in the sunshine after all. Mmmm..., been in the cupboard 6 or 7 years? 
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 14:50:37 PM »
Sounds like a great idea @Renegade Sewist.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 23:06:00 PM »
I will have a think about this one  :thinking:
Willing but not always able :)

mudcat

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 01:23:35 AM »
I was surprised that of the half dozen floral prints I have only one has what I would call foliage. 

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 15:05:33 PM »
Efemera’s entry

The pattern is In The Sun Dress by Dress your Body.
I used the narrow hem foot to hem the flounce and the gathering foot for the gathers.
I added side pockets and a false hem to get the maximum length.

realale

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 13:57:05 PM »
Well, I've rootled and delved and have come up almost empty handed. The one I thought of using is much more floral than foliage and the other is a remnant more suited to bag making and I don't want another bag at the moment so it looks like I won't be joining in this one. Neither inspired me much which is the main reason for passing.
Nevermind, I'll cheer you all on from the side lines.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 13:59:36 PM by realale »
So many beers, so little time.

dolcevita

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 23:31:10 PM »
I happen to have just such a fabric in my stash and an appropriate dress pattern on the way, so I may throw my hat into the ring for this one. The dress is uncomplicated, but the fabric is busy, so I'm hoping that they work out well together.
Photos to follow.

dolcevita

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 18:59:19 PM »
My patterns arrived today, including the one I have earmarked my foliage fabric for.  The fabric is a lovely smooth cotton poplin (already laundered, of course!) and just the thing for the Itch to Stitch Recoleta dress. I will prep the pattern over the weekend and check for fit - I haven't used this brand before, so I need to find a bit of patience before putting scissors to cloth. Hopefully it won't be too long.

As a side note, the Itch to Stitch patterns have a fabulous range of sizes and cup sizes. This one, the Recoleta dress, goes from their size 00 to 20 (for example, their size 12 is waist 35" and hip 42 3/4", with bust of 39 3/4" for the A cup up to 43 3/4" for the DD option. I will measure the pattern pieces to see how true they are to the finished garment sizes, but it's nice to see such a good range included as standard.

Here's a pic of my fabric: green and beige foliage on a dark navy background.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Puzzler

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 13:39:06 PM »
I was thinking of making the long sleeved version of the Itch to Stitch Seychelles top. I have an issue with a sewing machine that needs addressing so we shall see. I had to try out various sizes and cup sizes before settling on the best fitting. I have my standard alterations that I require no matter what pattern I use, but at least I didn’t have to faff around with an FBA. I have other ITS patterns and it’ll be handy to know what size to cut. The Recoleta is pretty popular. Love your leaf print.   :thumbsup:

I have had this viscose in my stash for years. Not sure there is enough though.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 13:44:15 PM by Puzzler »

dolcevita

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 14:29:51 PM »
That's pretty, @Puzzler . How much do you have and what width? I'm cutting the short sleeved version at the moment and I reckon you could get away with 1.5m of a decent width, depending on which size you need and how tall you are. There's also opportunity for skimping by using a contrast for the front inset and back neck facing.
I must also confess to having changed my fabric choice at the last moment. I'm using a floral poplin (it has a few leaves!), but I changed my mind because I think the leaf print (which is actually cotton lawn) will look nicer in the Chai dress. That will be along shortly, too!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 17:19:11 PM »
@dolcevita she has a couple of free sewing patterns on her site if you want to try them out.  I made her long sleeved top but should have chopped more off the bottom ! :laughing:  And the neck was too wide for me.  But she has some nice styles.