The Sewing Place

Inspired to knit again

Catllar

Inspired to knit again
« on: May 01, 2021, 10:02:43 AM »
So I downloaded Garnstudio's Santorini sweater, ordered the yarn and  a new number 5 round needle because for some reason I only had one single needle in the case.  All arrived in a couple of days so I started last night only to find I'd ordered the wrong length circular - it's only 40cms so it's like trying to knit a sock and not easy to cram the back of a sweater on it! Means I'll have to wait until I next go to Perpignan next Wednesday before I can get on with it. Drat and blast.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Helen M

Re: Inspired to knit again
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »
Strangely I've had the itch to knit again. I fancy one of those sleeveless tank tops.

Is your sweater knitted in the round @Catllar?  If not would using your 1 regular needle and the circular needle as an ordinary one (maybe put an elastic band or some kind of stopper at one end of circular needle to stop stitches falling off) work to get you started? Just a thought...........
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »
Throw caution to the wind and get yourself a set of interchangeables  You can have the cable any length you want and put bits in or take bits out mid knitting.  For some reason I still like to use dpns for socks but I use my interchangeables for all other knitting and I would never go back.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 11:53:13 AM »
Love my interchangeable wouldn’t go back for anything. @Ploshkin i think we have similar tastes

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 12:59:44 PM »
Scanning quickly through the unread topics i read this as

Inspired to Kill again !!  :o   :S 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 13:03:48 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 16:52:19 PM »
That too  @Iminei

@Helen M  I tried that -  I was desperate - however I'm surprised you couldn't hear me swearing from there!

I also found a pair of 5s hidden away but they are french ones so are about a metre long each ( I exaggerate a bit perhaps) but as the girls here knit with one needle under their arm they need long ones - I can't do that so need some 30cm straights.

I have some interchangeable but I'm not really keen - I bought them for a monster sweater I knitted last year for DD but I have found that a) they kept coming unscrewed and b) the yarn was catching the fluffy thread bits in the screw part - I prefer the all-in-ones as there's nothing for anything to get caught on.

I shall be the patient angel and will calmly wait till I can get the right ones . ommmmmm!!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 15:07:35 PM by Iminei »

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 13:47:24 PM »
So a flying visit to Perpignan via Mondial Tissus to purchase new knitting needles or circular. They only had one length and they are in fact long enough to hang curtains on! Surely not every person has arms that long - we're not all orang-utans!  Will try again at the only other store on Friday when I go down there again - Sigh.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 20:35:47 PM »
Went to Perpignan again  to the sewing shop to have attempt number two to buy needles. Arrived at about 3pm. Shop shut. Only open from 10 -12 at the moment.  :rant: Going to have to be internet.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 21:11:37 PM »
So 2.90€ for the needles plus 6.90@ for delivery? They are joking!! No way I'm paying that much for delivery. I am stymied at each turn. I WILL have my needles one way or another!  When did it become so hard to buy needles?

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 10:42:42 AM »
Could you simply use lots of double-ended ones?  They might be easier to source. 

This is how tubular and flat round knitting was done in pre-plastic days.

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 11:25:49 AM »
Would it be possible to have someone buy it in the UK and post it to you?

I know postage is not cheap but surely less than the delivery charge.

I’d be happy to do it for you.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 12:00:13 PM »
What size are you trying to get, is it circular or straights

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 18:23:50 PM »
Just letting you all know I have my needles!

I called the shop that only opens half days before doing the 140 round trip. Yes, they had the size in straights the length I wanted and also interchangeable ones, so off I went and to make the journey worth it I bought both - straights and interchangeables in rosewood.  So thanks for all your suggestions but I'm good to go now and away - yaaaaayyyy!