The Sewing Place

Fabric bunches up

Renegade Sewist

Re: Fabric bunches up
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 23:11:02 PM »
BTW @Sara-S  we have all sewn at least one pucker on our quilting journey.

I don't like basting spray. It can be a mess, should only be used outside and with a respirator on. Read the safety data sheets and you won't want to use them on quilts. They are however dandy on table runners and placemats. Nice to not need pins on the smaller scale.

I haven't tried pool noodles but every spring I pick up a few and they are handy. Great cut to length and put inside your boots to keep them from flopping about. They come in 2 diameters, I'd get the fatter one for bed quilt size, smaller for throws. Get the smaller at Dollar Tree. I don't like the quilting gloves. They are all nylon, I'm allergic, so I feel like I'm suffocating with them on. I did better finding some gardening gripper gloves.

Another thing that I do is press really well beforehand. My seams have no give left in them, they are very flat so less fabric to give under the presser foot.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

LeilaMay

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 13:04:55 PM »
BTW @Sara-S  we have all sewn at least one pucker on our quilting journey.

I don't like basting spray. It can be a mess, should only be used outside and with a respirator on. Read the safety data sheets and you won't want to use them on quilts. They are however dandy on table runners and placemats. Nice to not need pins on the smaller scale.

Exactly this - but folks don't read the label and love the stuff  :x :x

Ploshkin

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 14:54:31 PM »
There's also board basting - same as pool noodle method but with flat boards.  @rubywishes is a proponent of this method.
I didn't get on with the pool noodle method  (pipe insulation in my case) as I found it hard to get the layers tight but I think that would be easier with boards.
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 21:08:29 PM »
 @Sara-S    I use the board method for all my projects; from table runners up to I think the largest I've done is 66" x 60". I like the board method because it keeps everything neat and taut while I'm basting and I can leave it all set up whenever I want. I often have something on my boards being basted for a couple of weeks! The trick is to roll the fabric or batting nice and firmly but not stretch it and I always liberally starch and press my top and bottom ( :o LOL). If my fabric is large and cumbersome I will press and starch it "as I roll". There are heaps of you tubes  on it.
I don't like doing it with pool noodles...they don't allow for a firm enough roll and they do not lie straight. Boards are rigid and firm and their weight helps to keep the fabric taut as I unroll it to baste. I baste with pins nd spray together but have also used dissolving thread in a herringbone pattern....that however whilst giving a brilliant "baste" is very time consuming and on a large project would take me toooo long. Pins and baste spray are nice and quick.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 21:10:21 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!