The Sewing Place

Fabric bunches up

Sara-S

Fabric bunches up
« on: May 02, 2021, 22:55:47 PM »
I finished my latest quilt. While overall it is cheery sand certainly useful, there is one problem I can’t figure out how to solve.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

When I do the quilt stitching, fabric bunches up in a number of places. This has happened  to me on other projects as well. I have no clue why, so of course, I have no clue how to avoid it. Hints are welcome
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 23:25:10 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Lilian

Re: Fabric bunches up
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 23:04:10 PM »
I would say it is down to the laying and basting, I use 505 spray to baste. It might not be laying as flat or parts may not be basted enough.
Willing but not always able :)

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 23:24:19 PM »
I am not familiar with the product you I mention. Can you describe the product & process a bit more?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 03:30:30 AM »
@Sara-S I was taught to always quilt from the center outward toward each side. As you stitch, unless you've got IDT or a walking foot, you're top layer will shift, pushed by the presser foot in the direction you are quilting.

Before you started your quilting you either pin basted or thread basted the three layers together. At least I hope so! As you progress in a direction and the top stretches/shifts you have to remove the pins as you get near them and resmooth the fabric before you stitch. This looks like you didn't do that.

Some fabrics are extra stretchy and are a pain because of it. Some machines have pressure foot adjustment and you can reduce the pressure a bit to reduce the shifting. Obviously you need a different pressure, if available, for piecing two layers and quilting three.

You've probably come across quilt patterns/instructions that have you cut the backing fabric several inches larger on all sides. This shifting and stretching is why that's done.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 07:17:51 AM »
@Sara-S  Read through this tut * Toward the end theres something on layering and quilting but I'll go with the majority .... insufficient layering and No Walking foot!

Ive just layered another cot quilt and after spray basting with 505 Spray (aerosol glue) I leave the quilt, to set, I suppose you'd say for a day.

Then before I set to quilting with a WALKING FOOT I will give both the top and the backing an iron just to make everything super smooth.

When I quilt my hands will be flat on the fabric either side of the needle just slightly pulling the fabric to keep it extra smooth.

Its really difficult to describe, videos are your friend ... The only Vid I have of me quilting is THIS which is slightly different

* As ever ... Click on the first pic in the tutorial to bring it full size, the destructions for each step should appear to the right of the pic ... If it doesnt click on the i icon/three dots in the top right corner of the pic.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:20:03 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 12:02:03 PM »
Agree totally with @Iminei - I would only add that I also use quilting gloves, and I really do feel a difference if I forget them.  They have rubber coated fingers, and sometimes palms, which give you very good control over the fabric.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »
The one thing I did do right was to use the walking foot. The fabrics I used were not at all stretchy. I didn't work from the center out though.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »
I agree with the others, although personally I don't like the 505 spray.

When you make the sandwich you have to smooth outwards from the centre.  This takes a lot of time for a big quilt.

Because I don't use the sticky glue spray I use lots of safety pins - rule of thumb is that it shouldn't be possible to lay your hand flat on the quilt without touching a pin.  Ideally quilt from the centre outwards but that's not always possible.  A walking foot/IDT helps with straight line quilting but not appropriate for FMQ.

In ignorance of correct techniques my first quilt had several pleats in the backing, the biggest was at least half and inch!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 12:22:50 PM »
I hand quilt but like the others always start from the middle and work outwards.
I too, use 505 spray  and a few quilters safety pins to reinforce the corners.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 12:33:07 PM »
Try this...
layering a quilt with pool noodles

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 13:49:22 PM »
Try this...
layering a quilt with pool noodles

@Efemera can you please explain how to do that?

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 15:38:02 PM »
It also helps if you don't have quilting lines crossing, that is a recipe for bunching.  I'm a fan of diagonal quilting (or chevrons).  It always looks good and I think is less prone to bunching or rippling.

Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 16:04:03 PM »
@Efemera can you please explain how to do that?

DOH..forgot to add the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0j7u8bGW7A

Sara-S

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 16:54:06 PM »
Thanks @Efemera   That video makes it so clear. I will definitely try that.

Puzzler

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 17:44:11 PM »
Thank you for the video link @Efemera. Now I understand what a pool noodle is and how to use it in quiltmaking. Like Brenda, I prefer not to use the spray, preferring to pin and baste.