The Sewing Place

Finally I can reveal The Thing ...

Iminei

Finally I can reveal The Thing ...
« on: May 03, 2021, 07:34:02 AM »
Also known as Big Brother!

I wanted to make another memory quilt as the first one is just a row or two too narrow to properly cover a double bed when you are sleeping under it and because I had so much fun last time!

There were barely any shirts left after the first quilt and I had to be inventive to get enough 6" (finished) squares ... combining shirts, using shirt tails and cuffs and this as my biggest self-quilted project (73" x 80") so far was quilted in two parts without the aid of a Safety Net ... errrm... Sorry ...  Joining strip for the first time!!!

A couple of the points were a lil off on that middle join, mainly because of my inexperience and excess Spray Baste meant that the walking foot dragged a lil ...

What to do ... Unpick ??? Could be messy ...

Nah. I cut some teensy hearts from the remaining shirting and appliqued them on ... then sprinkled some more across the quilt to even them up! Lovely! There may be a tweak or two in the coming weeks but I think this is just about there and ready for its debut ...

and heres a family photo ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

More pics HERE

I heartily recommend making a memory quilt; the cotton shirting has a gorgeous soft hue and feel and its incredibly cathartic and of course, extremely warm and useful.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:47:57 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

Re: Finally I can reveal The Thing ...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 07:52:55 AM »
Lovely work.  :loveit:
I often shorten shirt sleeves to make the shirt into a short sleeve  :S (lots of shsss's there  0_0 ) and I kept all the offcuts thinking I might use them one day in some patchwork creation.  ><

As you say, the fabric's lovely quality and feel.
In the end I didn't use them but I listed all the fabric in a bundle on ebay and sold them on to a very happy buyer.

Sandra.
xxx

PollyWally

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 08:40:55 AM »
That's lovely and so creative. Well done for using up your left over shirt pieces so beautifully.

RJR_38

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 08:48:07 AM »
It certainly looks cosy! Well done for using up so much of the shirt fabric creatively as well

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 09:03:04 AM »
Very lovely and subtle!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 09:21:20 AM »
I really like that @Iminei it is something I have always wanted to do. I have a lot of clothes that don't fit me so must start to cut them up for a memory quilt.n

It looks lovely on the bed  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »
The quilt is great, but the thing that really caught my eye was your bed - my parents had a bed with those curly corner sticky uppy bits when I was little  0_0

realale

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 12:06:53 PM »
Love that quilt!!
My sister has just made a quilt from her old shirts. This is my artist sister who doesn't sew!! She bought a machine during lockdown, cut squares and sewed them together. It looks fabulous. She only tapped me for the wadding and thread.... :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 12:09:17 PM »
Lovely @Iminei, so much work.  And a great use of the shirts.  :devil:

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 12:21:30 PM »
Beautiful - as always. My cousin used her late mother's favourite blouses to to make bunting (sorry for the allusion DF) for her daughter's wedding and subsequent family occasions.

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 12:44:31 PM »
Gosh @Iminei   that looks amazing. 

Celia

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 14:05:25 PM »
Looks lovely

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 15:03:08 PM »
my parents had a bed with those curly corner sticky uppy bits when I was little 

Queen Anne style ... its only the Walnut baseboard screwed onto a handmade (not by me or HWMNBN) bed frame ... I liked it.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

charley

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 20:58:08 PM »
Beautiful quilt @Iminei, I love the colours.