The Sewing Place

Tuffet anyone?

Catllar

Re: Tuffet anyone?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 18:38:17 PM »
Is a tuffet the same as a pouffe?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 19:39:37 PM »
@Catllar , similar, though from what I can see, a Tuffet has stubby legs on it.

@SewRuthieSews , that is lovely, but I didn't know when I started this search, that it is a particular style of Tuffet I'm looking for - the stripey foundation pieced one.

Just found a great resource here It's called Little Miss Tuffet, and it's English.  She seems to have a Website, and also on Facebook.  Just started watching the first video, and it's very good.

I will report back when I have done further research...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

RJR_38

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 22:19:18 PM »
This is one I made about a year ago. If it is what you want I am happy to send you the instructions etc.

I ended buying a kit because when I costed it all up it wasn't much different and had all the hassle taken out of it. The kit contained the wooden base, wooden feet, pre-cut foam, muslin for foundation piecing, the button and string and the most lethal giant needle I have seen in my life (about 20-30 cm long!). I found her on fb but can probably dig out her details still

Edit: I’ve just seen someone has linked my thread on it before which I forgot about!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 22:22:31 PM by RJR_38 »

Puzzler

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 07:03:58 AM »
Now that I have seen RJR’s I suddenly need a tuffet in my life and in my living room! Is that furnishing-weight fabric? @SewRuthieSews, love yours too and the beanbag inner is a great idea.

Nevis5

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 08:36:52 AM »
Wow @RJR_38  that is amazing.  Looks like far too much work for me, though  :faints:  Like @SewRuthieSews   I have downloaded the Closet Case version and have plans to do one of those 'soon'.   I intended to put a liner in too, Ruthie, as I'm sure it will need rearranging inside once done (I'll probably 'need' one of the scraps inside).  Can I ask if you stuffed it with the scraps as they were or cut them up into small pieces?

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 09:39:07 AM »
@RJR_38 , your Tuffet is gorgeous!  I would love the instructions if you still have them.

I'm afraid I spent far too much time on this yesterday - and the VAT Return is still not done!  But, I have drawn myself a pattern which I can copy for the foundation piecing - as long as it works!

I know I have a bag of upholstery stuff somewhere which will be perfect - unfortunately, with the upheavals of the last week or so, where it is I do not know... :boohoo:

I now desperately need to make time, to start this project... :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sara-S

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 20:06:57 PM »
So that's a tuffet? Since it's what little Miss Muffet sat on, I always imagined that "tuffet" was another word for her tush.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 13:33:35 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

RJR_38

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2021, 21:26:57 PM »
@b15erk  I'll dig them out tomorrow for you and PM you

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2021, 21:41:23 PM »
@Catllar  ..... Yes!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2021, 22:09:02 PM »
@RJR_38 Your tuffet is beautiful!  :loveit:
Willing but not always able :)

RJR_38

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2021, 13:01:22 PM »
Now that I have seen RJR’s I suddenly need a tuffet in my life and in my living room! Is that furnishing-weight fabric? @SewRuthieSews, love yours too and the beanbag inner is a great idea.

@Puzzler no, it is standard cotton. I think with this pattern and the number of ‘slices’ you would struggle with heavier weight fabric towards the middle as it gets so thick.

There are no beans in this one - it is one piece upholstery foam cut to shape, on an MDF wooden base that the feet attach to. The foam is also covered in some wadding to give it even more ‘squidge’. It is much firmer than a beanbag and holds its shape

Puzzler

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2021, 13:58:09 PM »
Thanks for the clarification @RJR_38. Ruthie's has bigger pieces so few seams and I would imagine that it's more suited to a bean bag inner. I realised yours was solid. If it was too squishy, it wouldn't have the same impact.