The Sewing Place

Mays Mini Marvels

whofilets

Re: Mays Mini Marvels
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 20:30:46 PM »
oh @Sandra I think a paper hexie that small.. I'd breathe it in accidentally    :o

I'm in for the challenge! If I finish this mini quilt it'll be the first quilt I've ever finished, batting and binding and all  :D I've made a couple mug rugs but that was a long time ago and they were pretty haphazard.
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

Sandra

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 20:44:00 PM »
oh @Sandra I think a paper hexie that small.. I'd breathe it in accidentally    :o

0_0 I'm being very careful that I don't waft them off the table when I've been working with them.

I've made a cautious start to see just how much of a faff it's likely to be.
I don't have a proper plan as to what it will be like when it's done and I haven't tried to calculate how many hexies I need.

Some little bits have been joined up. I quite like joining the bits up.  :thumbsup:
Not so keen on wrapping the little hexie and putting the few stitches in. That's really fiddly and a bit of a chore but I did get into my stride after I'd done a few.

Sandra.
xxx

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 22:23:20 PM »
@Sandra I use a pritt stick or glue pen
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sandra

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 22:28:48 PM »
Ah! Am I supposed to be gluing them down to hold them?  :S I didn't bother to search for any 'how to' advice online. I should have done.
Do they remove easily when you need them to?

Sandra.
xxx

Lilian

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 22:30:28 PM »
Ah! Am I supposed to be gluing them down to hold them?  :S I didn't bother to search for any 'how to' advice online. I should have done.
Do they remove easily when you need them to?

Sandra.
xxx

Using the glue stick you do have to pull a little to free the papers.
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 06:07:42 AM »
@Sandra ... Cant you give them a damn good press when you're/after you've wrapped them to keep them in place whilst you stitch????

@everyoneelse ... It would be wonderful if you entered ... These Competitions/Swaps/Events wouldnt be anything without YOU!!!!

Anything as large as or smaller than, I should say, an A4 piece of paper or A4 square sized would be truly a May's Mini Marvel, but if you want to make a quilt for your furbaby please make it 24" square or less

But remember the main aim is that without anything for perspective it should look like a full sized quilt!

Please post pics of your fabric and progress in this thread and make up a lil entry complete with pics by the 5th of June!!!

Looking forward to this ... Who knows I might even sew along!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 08:16:07 AM »
The main problem I have is, of course, the scale of these things.  :S

I can't imagine being able to apply a neat little dab of glue without too much being applied and then making it difficult to remove the paper afterwards. It's lawn too. I don't want to risk any stickiness seeping through. Hate sticky.

Regarding the iron. I don't think I'd be able to avoid getting burnt fingertips.

They're just so small.

I've been muddling through and managing to get the pieces to come together so I think I'll just carry on.  -<

Sandra.
xxx

StitchinTime

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 08:50:21 AM »
For those across the pond who might be thinking about joining in, A4 paper is approximately 8.5 x 11.5 inches.

@Iminei To make the quilt maths easier, could we say a maximum size of 12” on the longest side for non-fur baby quilts?

StitchinTime

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 08:53:48 AM »
@Sandra Oh my, those are seriously small! With those and the curtain alterations you are certainly working at both ends of the sewing spectrum.

Flobear

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 09:00:30 AM »
I have ordered some fabric with the intention of entering as I now have curtains up in every room that currently needs them. Only re-modelled curtains from previous houses. Still have six hems to do but they can wait.

Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
Here is a photo of one I am doing @Sandra i think it’s a bit bigger than yours but I do use glue, I am not too happy with this one as the fabric is very fine but it is for a purpose, I am trying to make something for a friend the fabric was given to me by her.

I find it difficult to loose the stitches successfully on this fabric

fajita

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 12:20:59 PM »
Fabrics chosen.
@TartanPaint s pink fabric getting its first outing. 

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 21:32:35 PM »
@Iminei To make the quilt maths easier, could we say a maximum size of 12” on the longest side for non-fur baby quilts?

Perfect, thank you x

I can't imagine being able to apply a neat little dab of glue without too much being applied and then making it difficult to remove the paper afterwards. It's lawn too. I don't want to risk any stickiness seeping through. Hate sticky.

@Sandra  .... How about a teensy sq of HeatnBond lite ???
If you reiron the finished item the glue should easily release the papers ... Ask me how I know?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 21:35:52 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 21:48:23 PM »

@Sandra  .... How about a teensy sq of HeatnBond lite ???
If you reiron the finished item the glue should easily release the papers ... Ask me how I know?

Thanks @Iminei for the idea :thumbsup: but I've got into a nice rhythm now by just stitching them and can shift quite a few in a session.

I still don't know how I'm going to put them all together in the end but I know I need more...lots more  :S ...white ones.

Sandra.
xxx

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 00:25:44 AM »

Perfect, thank you x

Well that determination eliminates my planned entry attempts. For quilt shows they count 12 up to 24 inches so long as it reads like a full size quilt. My 18 inch American Girl type doll is in need of a quilt but never mind. Not a fur baby and larger than desired otherwise.

My arthritis in my hands is progressing and says I can't work as small as is wanted for this. My eyes agree with the arthritis.  ;)

Many of these will now be two big but here are a bunch of free mini quilt patterns for your perusal.

Enjoy!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.