The Sewing Place

Mays Mini Marvels

Flobear

Re: Mays Mini Marvels
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2021, 08:06:26 AM »
I understand there has to a a limit on 'mini' but surely, if people wish to do their own maths, it doesn't have to be 12" maximum  :[ 
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 09:29:59 AM »
Sorry don’t think I will be able to take part 12 inches is probably a bit too small for my eyesight at the moment.

I am getting new glasses, they are on order but probably won’t get them in time.  I tried to continue with my little epp as shown on my last post but really suffered  from not being able to see.

Maybe another time unless I can find a very simple way of doin this
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:35:17 AM by Celia »

Lilian

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2021, 09:32:06 AM »
I am planning to join in as I have lots of little scraps. Just trying to find a way of putting them together  :thinking:
Willing but not always able :)

StitchinTime

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2021, 09:36:31 AM »
I only suggested 12” as it was roughly the size specified in the miniature quilt category of the UK Festival of Quilt show and not everyone may be familiar with Iminei’s suggestion of A4 size.

@Iminei It looks as though my suggestion of 12” is going to limit participation - can we change this to a maximum size of 24” with no restriction on its intended use?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2021, 10:06:38 AM »
Don't worry, I have no intention of taking part in this, but I'm always interested in things others do, so reading through this thread.
I had to chuckle at the thought of a 24" quilt for a furbaby, given the size of my two woofbags  :laughing:

Catllar

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2021, 15:03:15 PM »
OK, so I'm going in!  I found a little freebie from Sewcanshe.com and I'm using triadic colours. red blue yellow. Pictures to follow.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Flobear

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2021, 17:58:58 PM »
here are a bunch of free mini quilt patterns for your perusal.

Enjoy!

Lovely ideas and such a help to a one-quilt pony like me  ;)  Thank you for the link @Renegade Sewist
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Puzzler

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2021, 20:24:54 PM »
What if your fur baby is a horse? Just sayin.  :rolleyes:

Lilian

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2021, 20:40:38 PM »
What if your fur baby is a horse? Just sayin.  :rolleyes:

Blinkers...  :ninja:

Lilian

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2021, 22:33:40 PM »
As I am still quite new to P & Q (not done very much) I have been looking at doing a mini quilt and found out just how versatile HSTs are!  I am loving it.  :vintage:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2021, 23:08:22 PM »
As I am still quite new to P & Q (not done very much) I have been looking at doing a mini quilt and found out just how versatile HSTs are!  I am loving it.  :vintage:

@Lilian you and others might find these useful. Patterns for 1" to 2" size half square triangles. You print it out, ideally on paper piecing paper. Or just use a shorter stitch length to help perforate the paper. Then you lay it on top of two layers of fabric, sew where indicated and cut. Lots of perfect uniform HST. BTW it says 1" makes. It's a typo, it makes 40.

There are lots of other versions, free or preprinted, in all sorts of sizes. Google is your friend. For ready made I highly recommend Thangles. They are great.

I can't stand doing paper piecing but love doing this for HST.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lilian

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 23:16:06 PM »
Thanks for that link @Renegade Sewist. I have lots of little triangles cut off as waste from the mystery quiltalongathon and am going to use those (better than chucking them away) I think there is enough for the Mini Make Quilt  :)

I have some printed pages for HSTs in a bigger size that I have used for FPP.

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2021, 10:00:48 AM »
The first Miniature Quilt Challenge we ran was TSP Bear wants a quilt which was very successful and of which he now lies under two of the entries

The Winner was announced HERE

and the Gallery HERE

@Renegade Sewist ... Why not just make your Doll a quilt for her anyway???
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:02:22 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »
@Iminei
Can we go firm on the size of the mini quilt is it definitely no more than 12 inches, I am a bit confused, it doesn’t take much these days.

Iminei

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2021, 10:59:01 AM »
So am I @Celia  ... Lets go  with the Festival Of Quilts Rules ....

Miniature Quilts

Maximum size of 30cms on the longest side. Use any technique or combination of techniques. In a photo of the finished piece (with no indication of scale) the miniature should look like a full size quilt or wall hanging.

30 cms on this occasion = 12" (yes I know its actually 11.81 ")

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again